Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#10833 Sun Oct 06 2002 01:38 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Everything has a story. Was in antique mall with not much to do and went through boxes of postcards. Never know when an old gas station advertisement might surface. Came across a Century of Progress Chicago 1933 post card of Havoline Motor Oil's 218 ft. high thermometer. Neat lithograph with spot lights in the sky, people walking up to it, and Havoline Motor OIl clearly visible.

I did some search for gasoline postcard advertising and didn't come up with much. Knowing that cross over collecting is important I was surprised. There are a lot of postcard collectors out there and most probably don't think of Petroliana.

Now the question: Since the oil companies really passed out the road maps for advertising - Did they ever do much with post cards? I don't recall ever seeing a card with a a company logo or something on it~! Or have I missed a lot?

My friends say at my age I should quite trying to move gas pumps and concentrate on somehing more portable!! Postcards seem like a possiblilty to go with my road maps.

Any information as to such post cards in general or sources etc.?

Oh yes, I bought the card - $5.00

Take care, John

------------------

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#10834 Sun Oct 06 2002 02:11 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Hey John , the answer to your question is yes , most oil companys sent out post cards as reminders that it was close to a service , Seaside had 2 differant ones , from what i understand , sending a post card locally didn't cost anything so they all did it , then after the war a penny stamp was added , so a lot of them quit , i have a stack of seaside cards some with a place for a stamp and some with out, i think the guy that does (check the oil ) monthly mag has a large collection ,

#10835 Sun Oct 06 2002 02:14 PM
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
John -

You'll find a lot of postcards featuring different companies which had buildings/exhibitions at the 1933-1934 Chicago Worlds Fair (or "Century of Progress" as it was officially called). I've seen Firestone, Ford, and General Electric cards, too. (You'll also run across metal and hard plastic replicas of the Great HAVOLINE Thermometer.) From what I've seen, these cards were "event-specific", more than just general "company items" - if that makes sense.

One of my favorite possessions, by the way, is a HAVOLINE souvenir advertising penant from the 1915 Panama-Pacific Exposition (or SanFrancisco World's Fair).

------------------
Jim Hinds
Columbus, Indiana

Jim Hinds
Columbus, Indiana

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved