Next Thread
Print Thread
#129117 Sat Jan 24 2009 05:10 PM
L
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
L
what is the best way to perform subject item without doing any damage. i mainly want to clean the oil off but sometimes, even on the metal cans, the print wants to come off if i use more than just a mild detergent.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I use Lanolin hand cleaner W/O Pumice. Start on back of can & go slow. Better to have 1 little spot than the whole can messed up.
db

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
I use a very soft rag on both. Use WD-40 on metal, nothing on cardboard just the soft rag. But it all depends on what the cans look like to start,if they are flaking paint or peeling. i wouldnt mess with them.

Ryan

WTB - Any thing from ILLINOIS FARM SUPPLY COMPANY
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Dick,

What brand of hand cleaner to you use and where do you get it?

Thank you.

Scot

Looking for nearly anything related to Signal Oil

Go Farther!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scot, I use GOOP Orange hand cream, like the stuff Dick uses, it has no pumice. I use it on my handy oilers and lamp tins also. Tried other cleaners including dishwashing liquids. GOOP seems to be gentle enough to loosen dirt and oil without removing any paint.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scot,
K-Mart. I have used other Brand names bought at parts stores, but found some to be too aggressive. Have also used Goof-off w/ a Q-Tip or ON a rag, just don't let it puddle, you can end up with a plain can. WD-40 or Kerosene is good for your hands when they get chapped.

R
R
I have had good results using WD 40 on metal cans with good paint on them. The WD 40 does a good job removing oil and grease. Like Oil Stuff said use a clean soft cloth and do a section at a time. I follow up with liquid Turtle wax applied to a damp towel. Do one section of the can and use another dry soft towel to polish before the wax has a chance to dry. Fiber cans are something else. I have had success with the Turtle wax process on fiber cans in good condition. All these cans were throw away items when they were made and have to be treated with care. Avoid auto cleaner wax with abrasive, they will remove paint. I also never use water based detergents that can cause rust latter on. Try doing some cans that are in just good condition and are not of great value. This will get you started on what method you would like to use. There are several out there. One more point when cleaning cans; if the can has quite a bit of paint loss or chips leave it as is. The chips will show up more on a cleaned can. Good luck and enjoy.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved