Next Thread
Print Thread
#130306 Thu Feb 05 2009 07:41 AM
C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
So, I just upgraded from a 110v 26gal compressor to this beast. It's a classic for sure, built in 1958. I haven't looked too closely at the tags but it did say "American Brake Shoe Company" on it. It's a 50 gallon, 2 stage compressor, and was recently rebuilt, runs nice, slow and quiet.

Anyways, my question is wiring a 230v 3 prong outlet for it (it is a single phase motor, draws about 25 amps at start up and 12 amps running I believe). Is it something I could do myself? I have a subpanel in my garage which I can shut off from the house so I don't think there's much chance of zapping myself. I know I would need a 2 pole breaker, correct?

compressor.jpg
Last edited by chrisbowers; Thu Feb 05 2009 08:42 AM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yes, you need a 2 pole 30 amp. breaker. You can probably get by with #10 wire between the sub panel and the compressor provided it's a short run (less than 25'). Install a shut off switch in line if the compressor doesn't already have one. Cicuit breakers aren't meant to be used as switches. Make sure that the breaker and wiring feeding your sub panel are heavy enough for the additional load ! Hope this helps.

C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Yep, there's a shut off switch already wired. I was planning on running a new 220v circuit with a "dryer plug" and hooking a male dryer plug to the end of the romex coming out of the in line shut off switch. I know I can isolate the sub panel so I don't zap myself. From what I understand it's just a matter of hooking in the 3 wires, 2 to hot and 1 to ground?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yeah, that's how you would wire it. Now go make some air !

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Chris,
In most cases you will have to change the connections in the motor to change from 110v to 220v. Open the cord cover and see if the diagram is on the inside, should show you how to hook up for your voltage choice. Some equipment require 2 hots, and some require 2 hots and a neautral.
For safety I would consider a 4 wire cord, 2 hots, neautral and a ground. As Scott mentioned, you want a safety/disconnect switch, preferably within reach of the machine.
Some of those old compressors are real work horses. I am still using my dads 60 gal Kellog-American he bought for the radiator shop in 1945, of course I don't work it like we did in the shop.
Good Luck,
Ed

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I know once you get it up and running you will be happy with that beast. It is 12 years newer than mine you lucky dog.
Yes you will need a two pole circuit breaker. Your electrical box should list the style it will take. Old style 220 is 3 prong and newer homes have a 4 prong 220. When wiring 220 remember Black is HOT. Red is HOT. White is COMMON(GROUND) and the 4 prong adds Green as GROUND also. I am not an electrician so it would be good to ask when you get your circuit breaker if they have some 220 wiring diagrams. I know where I go has sheets to take home and they have helped me. Burned up a few switches before I asked though. Good luck and email me if you need some pictures of my compressor wiring,
Mike

C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
The motor is already set up for 220. It has a 3 wire lead coming out of the shut off switch box. The guy I bought it from had the sheath stripped off the ends of the wire and he plugged the copper into a 3 prong welder plug to start it up and show me that it worked (I think he had it hardwired originally). Does that mean I won't need a 4 wire hookup? As I understand it straight 220 applications don't need a neutral, just 2 hots and ground? My box is a Cutler Hammer, I checked and it has plenty of juice and spaces left to power the compressor.

C
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
C
Now I'm thinking I may just hardwire it. Thinking about it, it seems safer than having an outlet, and this thing is a monster. It probably weighs 400-500 pounds. The only time I'd ever move it more than a few feet (which I can accomplish with the extra romex coming out of the on/off box) is if I moved. At that point I could just unhook the circuit. The plug seems like an extra point of failure.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you are not going to move it, I would hard wire it. My only thought, make sure it does not roam around. I have my compressor on a thin rubber mat because it will vibrate around the concrete floor. Wiring and air lines don't like to be stretched.
Mike

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Chris, I thought of you and your compressor when I got this monster home.
1948 Kellogg American, 5hp motor, 80 gal tank. I am going to use the motor for "The Duke" compressor. It was cheaper to buy the whole compressor rather than buy a good used single phase 5hp motor. It has the "American Brake Shoe Company" tag also.
Mike

Kellogg American 018.jpg Kellogg American 007.jpg

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved