Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#133795 Fri Mar 06 2009 08:42 PM
S
steven Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I have a Wayne 615 visible gas pump/with a org. Shell globe. When i got it, they painted it all yellow. Should it be red and yellow, or all yellow thank you, Steven

Last edited by steven; Fri Mar 06 2009 08:50 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's your pump, do it YOUR WAY. I did on my 36B Twin.

J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
When your pump left the Wayne factory it was "RED." The owner of the station added any colors he wanted, but he wasn't interested on how his pump looked, he was interested in selling gasoline.

There could be four Shell stations, each on a corner of an intersation, I will guarantee you that not two stations will the pumps will be painted the same, nor will they have the same decals or pump plates, nor will they have the same globes.

We all get wrapped up in what is "CORRECT." Unless you had a station in the center of Time Square, New York City, Shell didn't care what your station looked like, they just wanted you to sell more gasoline then the station across the street.

Just take a good look at your pump, decide what colors would look good, remember to match the decals/pump plates/globes for color. No sense in painting your pump "what someone tells you is Shell yellow" only to find it doesn't match your decals or globe.

As Dick Bennett and I have told tons of guys on this website, have fun with your pump, paint it what you like, there are no pump police out there to tell you it isn't correct.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Steven: welcome to the site, it's a great place to ask questions and see how other members finish their restorations. Yours is a common question asked when starting their first restoration. If it matters to you the major paint companies will sell you 'shell yellow' or you can purchsse the decals/signs first and match your paint to them. Take a look in the showcase section of the site to see how fellow members have finished their pumps, it might give you some ides of how to do yours. Try the search function to see if there are any pumps posted like yours or you could look for Shell pumps in general. Just have fun with it and post some pics of your progress. There are a lot of members who can give you help along the way.

S
steven Offline OP
OP Offline
S
thank you for your respomse guys i will take everything consideration steven

Last edited by steven; Sat Mar 07 2009 05:53 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Steven, I also want to welcome you to the site. As the guys said make the pump "your own". I worked at a couple of stations in the late 60's. We painted the pumps by hand with a brush using "rems" from other painting projects. Pumps(atleast where I lived) had the "hell" beat out of them. Car doors opened into them, oil cans dropped and bounced into them. Nozzels hit them if a certain young man saw a pretty girl walk by, drove by or stopped for gas. Or if that same young man got annoyed with life, his boss or a driver. Please do share photos and enjoy the site.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
S
steven Offline OP
OP Offline
S
thank you, i was thinking about painting it a hot rod color

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
& FLAME THE GLOBE ?

For some pictures of restored Shell gas pumps, go to the top of this page. Look for the horizontal menu line that starts with:
Home | Help | Events | Classifieds | Bookstore | Pictures
Click on "Pictures"
Then type in "Shell" in the search form and hit "Enter" on your keyboard. Thumbnail photos of Shell pumps, globes and stations will result. Click on them to see larger images.
Hope that will give you some inspiration.

The Guide to Gas Pump Restoration has 1100 pictures of gas pumps showing the color schemes, decal/sign placement and globes for many gas brands over the years.

And yes, you can certainly paint it custom with colors and two toning to be a hotrod unique gas pump. It's kind of like building a hotrod car. A historic purist may not like it, but others who share your interests will like it. Do what makes your heart happy.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
S
steven Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I like this web site, you guys have some realy good input. Soon as i get the pump done, i will post some pics of it thanks

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome aboard and don't wait to post a picture after your done. We appreciate a pump in the rough too.
Mike

S
steven Offline OP
OP Offline
S
thanks, but this pump is in pieces

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved