Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
some of our signs in our advertising collections are marked a-m or amd made in usa does anyone out there know any history of what it stands for any company history company name origin etc ... i have researched the net and some books and couldnt find any info on the company that literally produced tens of thousand of old antique gas oil soda signs that we all collect and admire ... I did hear that the am stood for somebodys name but have not confirmed, i would be honored if some of the elders of primarily petroliana would help us with some very useful history and information ..

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
ALOT OF MY COCA-COLA SIGNS ARE MARKED A-M AND THEN A MONTH AND YEAR LIKE "6-56" MEANING JUNE 1956.

I BELIEVE IT'S THE INITIALS OF THE NAME ALLEN-MORRISON SIGN COMPANY. I BELIEVE THEY MAY HAVE BEEN LOCATED IN TENN OR KENTUCKY?

#15 IN THIS WEBPAGE:

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:sEfPV6CulHQJ:lasi.lynchburg.edu/perault_d/public/envs/internships/grows.doc+ALLEN-MORRISON+SIGN+COMPANY&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
thanks for the info DOC greatly appreciated

tjccafferty@yahoo.com
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
U r right DOC, except the Allen-Morrison was located in Lynchburg, VA. The Co. is no longer around and the AM code on your signs mean batch numbers.
I to looked up the Co. on the web tjccafferty, and very little came up. I live in that town of Lynchburg and remember the Co.
Sometime the sign will have Lynchburg,Va stamped on it also. Th Co. produced approx 80% of the signs country wide, then china came into the picture. mad Im not sure when the Co. closed but I do remember the building being torn down in the late 70s.
Hope this helps!
HAGD,
mike

Last edited by mike's48; Tue May 26 2009 04:43 AM.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
sure does mike i love to be educated as much as possible .. can never know enough. thanks again.
Regards,
TJ

tjccafferty@yahoo.com
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
TJ,
I wish I knew more about A-M back then and had some of their throwaways....
mike

S
S
New guy here, 1st post.

I have a metal Coke sign, approx 48"x30", that has "AM 35" painted in the lower RH corner of the sign. Sign reads Enjoy Coca-Cola.

I tried opening the link above, but it isn't active anymore. Any ideas on where to find the age of this sign?

Thanks, David

Last edited by surv8r; Fri Jun 24 2011 05:44 AM. Reason: additional info
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
"A boarded-up brick warehouse on Rutherford Street is a faint shadow of its industrial past — the roof sags, vines slink through broken windows and the air smells faintly of chemicals.

Starting in the early 1900s, the 16.9-acre site was home to the Thornhill Wagon Company, one of the largest manufacturers of farm wagons in the east. Later it became the Allen-Morrison Corporation, which produced the ubiquitous metal Coca-Cola signs that now populate antique stores and old-time diners.

When Allen-Morrison went out of business in 1996, the company abandoned a cluster of brick and metal buildings. In 2003, the city of Lynchburg acquired the property through eminent domain and developed a plan to transform the industrial wasteland into a cutting-edge “eco-park.”

Last edited by always lookin; Fri Jun 24 2011 12:39 PM.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved