Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#142559 Tue Jun 09 2009 12:08 PM
Jacob_V Offline OP
OP Offline
Any of you guys ever motorize your computer to simulate the pump in operation? I saw a video of a a guy who did that on his Bennett 766. Not much detail, but I have also thought about doing this as I like to show folks how the computer actually still works and then give it a reset. It'd be much nicer if I could push a button and have it run at the correct rpm to simulate pumping etc. Anybody know roughly the rpm to shoot for? Any examples of this concept implemented? Thanks for the help guys!

Jake

Here is the video:

Currently have a Tokheim 39 Short under restoration.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Jacob_V #142575 Tue Jun 09 2009 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You can do a Search on here as several have done it.
Here's 1
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=21240&page=1

Dick Bennett #142588 Tue Jun 09 2009 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
40 rpm w/ NO gear train on the bottom of the computer.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
jkyocom #142598 Tue Jun 09 2009 06:43 PM
Jacob_V Offline OP
OP Offline
Sounds great fellas, Thanks for the great info!

Jake

Jacob_V #142767 Fri Jun 12 2009 05:28 AM
M
M
I recently restored and motorized a Tokheim 39 for a local childrens museum display. The pump can be activated by the little folks themselves. I used componets from GRAINGER,It would have to stand the test of time and a lot of use. The list of components I used are, Item # 3M153 gearmotor ac 20 RPM,dirrect W/no gear train, Item # 1EGC2 relay time delay,to be able to adjust the run time,Item # 1EGP2 Relay Socket,and # 2GE75 Run Capacitor for the motor. I installed a large push button demand switch in the face of the door to stat the motor. Doing it for your own display I would eliminate the time delay relay and rig a small demand switch in the nozzle assembly, run the wires up the hose so you can activate it with the nozzle. I have done this for several of my own pumps. I think 40 RPM would be to fast, 20 RPM matches the speed of pumps I have restored with the original pumps working. Good Luck

mrsocony #142772 Fri Jun 12 2009 07:48 AM
Jacob_V Offline OP
OP Offline
Great reply mrsocony! This is exactly what I was after! So when you say no gear train, does that mean I have to remove the gear set on the bottom half of the veeder root meter (the ones that set the value $ / gear ratio)? I was hoping to just couple right to the bottom of the meter just like the fuel pump itself used too.

Jake

Jacob_V #142775 Fri Jun 12 2009 08:30 AM
M
M
No do not remove the gear set with the values, some meters have a small gear type trasnmision on the bottom either to offset the drive shaft or gear reduction. Your meter may not have one, if the drive shaft goes directly into the bottom your all set. Just addapt the shaft and coupling to the electric motor.

mrsocony #142793 Fri Jun 12 2009 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

There are gear trains on some computers, on the bottom plate of the variator, for certain types of meters. The gearbox in the pic is for a Wayne 60-70 meter/computer setup.Not only is it offset from the computer input shaft but it reduces the input by 1/2.
Some are there only to align the input shaft of the computer to the output shaft of the meter.
Some , like ALL BENNETTS, reduce the output of the meter by 1/2.....a Bennett Meter turns at 8 revs per gallon, a computer turns at 4 revs per gallon.
If you hook a Bennett meter straight to the computer it will read 10 gallons on the computer but only will have delivered 5 gallons.
So, if you have a 40 rpm motor and hook it up to a Wayne or Bennett gear box you are reducing it to 20 rpm.

The Tokheim gear train is not for reduction but location.
But gears on the input of your computer means more friction and more wear to your motor.
A METER has so much torque it could break any gear in the computer. If its own gears don't break first
If you use a wimpy motor you will regret it.

By no means was I refering to doing something like this.

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
jkyocom #142794 Fri Jun 12 2009 02:04 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I Bought the 30 rpm from Grainger and really like the speed it runs the Veeder-Root. See the above link at the beginning of the post to view how I used it to spin the computer.I put a small switch in near the pump nozzle holder to activate the motor,some have even put a switch in the nozzle itself to turn on the motor. The motor from Grainger is a little pricey, but, it is very quiet. The video you seen with the motorized Bennett is from Wurly 1100 on this site. He used a Grainger motor in that pump. He used a 60 rpm motor but left the Bennett geartrain in tact(I believe?). I had a 60 rpm originally on a M/S 80....after the motor went bad I switched to the 30 rpm that is in it now. I like the 30 rpm better as the 60 rpm was a tad fast.

Kurt

K F H #142795 Fri Jun 12 2009 02:24 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Price setting will also affect the speed of your money wheels, the higher the price the faster they turn.

Gallons wheels will always be the same.
4 rev input into variator = 1 rev of gallon wheel......for all Veeder Root mechanical COMPUTERS using gallons, always.

Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved