Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#142809 Fri Jun 12 2009 07:00 PM
A
awander Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I have had terrible luck when applying vinyl decals on my gas pump doors. I use the soap and water technique; however, I always end up with air bubbles under the decals no matter how many times I squegee them out. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
awander #142818 Fri Jun 12 2009 07:46 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Try less water. Also, if the paper baking is split, hold the decal in place, reach underneath it, and pull the paper off of one side. That should locate it. Then peel the paper from the other side.

I can apply vinyl decals, dry, by using this method.

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Thunder II #142820 Fri Jun 12 2009 08:04 PM
First thing, the painted surface must be absolutely smooth. The tiniest speck of dust under the decal will be amplified and the bump will never be squeegeed out. Block sand wet with 1000, 1200 or 1500 to level the surface first. Compound and polish the areas that will show around the decal.

Second thing, let the paint fully cure before applying decals. Depending on the paint materials and temperature the surface can release solvents in tiny quantities for days and possibly weeks. This is significant because trapped solvents can damage the paint itself, cause bubbles in a decal and making the surface a little sticky which make squeegee action a problem.

I use just a little dish detergent in water. Spray the surface with a mist pump sprayer. Squeegee from the center of the decal to the outer edge. On difficult decals, you may want to spray both the decal and the painted surface with the detergent solution. Getting the solution misted on every square inch of the area really helps. Not a lot of water, just evenly distributed.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Oldgas #142825 Fri Jun 12 2009 08:40 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Order your Vinyl decals from Jim @ http://www.T-waysGraphics.com he can print them on magnetic material. Can be applied after a 6pk & corrected the next morning !

Dick Bennett #142874 Sat Jun 13 2009 07:11 AM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
I also use the liquid soap in a mist spray pump. 3M calls for two drops of soap in the pump, I like 7. I did some large one's yesterday and worked out fantastic as usual. I spray both sides of the decal and i mark my placement dry with a china marker so i know where to go and that it will be space correctly. 3M also sells plastic squeeges for decal application, i have also used platic bondo spreaders to. Oldgas is also right about buffing first because a speck of dirt in the paint will look like a mountain. I like to use 1000 only if it is very rough. I like the 1200,1500 dry. Then 3000 trizac wet. All on a DA as much as possible. I also use a interface pad to keep from digging in while colorsanding with the DA.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved