Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Ryan Fortner #155905 Wed Oct 14 2009 08:14 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks to all of you for the information. This sign will be hung outside on an original swinging signpost 18 feet in the air so I need to stop the rust if I can. I have the original frame that it was mounted in. Jimmy

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Cities Service #155906 Wed Oct 14 2009 08:17 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I go along with the just clean it up and hang it up comments. Thats not that bad. I have a Mobiloil sign in my display with so many bullet holes in it that I have never bothered to count them.

It's one of my favorite pieces because I think it shows what really happened to a lot of them. Several visitors really like that sign; say it's really got character. Just my opinion.

Old Iron #155909 Wed Oct 14 2009 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
To keep it from rusting further will be the problem. Not sure where you live in 'Carolina, but my experience with the weather, tells me good luck. Hot humid summers,cold wet,snowy winters and if you live near the coast salt water damage. A hard trio to fight with a sign aready showing "distress". I would suggest finding another sign that fits the bracket and hang your sign indoors. Either way, with a little "elbow grease" you will have a very fine and interesting "show piece", IMO. Please share photos of "before and after", we all do like photos.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Bob Richards #155912 Wed Oct 14 2009 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Clean, wax & hang outside.

Dick Bennett #155923 Wed Oct 14 2009 01:58 PM
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
You could clean it up, dab some of that rust killer chemical in each ding and spray a coat of good quality clear over it if you're set on puting it outside. That's the only sure way I can think of staving off the rust for any amount of time. If you use body filler and paint without something over it the paint will just fade out/wash away over time leaving you with pink (if you use spot putty) dots all over the sign. I'd leave the dings, clean up the rust stains and shoot some clear on it if it's going outside, otherwise just clean and hang in the garage (or your room of choice).

Last edited by chrisbowers; Wed Oct 14 2009 01:59 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved