Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#14003 Thu Aug 28 2003 07:16 PM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
They don't warp, hes just giveing some of the younger collectors an idea of a different, uncostly way of doing a pump, for some that has never painted or bought paint at a local indrustrial paint store, don't know how or why, and if your a youngin, its up to us ol farts to talk about different ways to do things. I myself do not sell my pumps that I paint, so I paint them for me . but if your going to sell them you want good quaity paint and items on them, as far as your frame goes , if you have the extra cash to powder coat it, do so . if you don't clean it and paint it, the old timer that had his collection up for sale, was so picky that all his sheet metal was redone no dents,dings, nothing, all new metal, except for the A-38. so as Midway oil asked not to long ago, when do you determan between original and non -original????? powder coating on a good skined pump might look good but like Morgan said, if you ding it, bump it , chip it , thats it no sanding and touching it up, but , its all up to you. shake that can.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#14004 Thu Aug 28 2003 08:25 PM
P
OP Offline
P
Here's a beginner question...who carries PPG paint?

Some of you have mentioned using the spray can method to paint your pumps - so I assume PPG dealers will mix custom colors in spray cans???

#14005 Thu Aug 28 2003 08:33 PM
L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
Keith,
I blast and powder coat or paint most of my frames. If you do your own blasting there is not additional cost. I was giving ideas on how to keep cost to a bare minimum and still have a pump that is clean, painted, and looks presentable without spending $$$$$. Most frames are cleanable and were originally red oxide primed (tokheim) or some industrial paint.
Its much more labor intensive to blast an angle frame than flat sheetmetal and adds to overall cost without alot of benefit.
Larry

larry ivy
#14006 Thu Aug 28 2003 08:43 PM
L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
Theres a lot of different state rules about putting paint in pressurized cans, so I dont know about all areas. I do know there are a wide array of fleet colors available in spray cans. If you dont find what you like at home depot, try checking with the dealership or franchise to see if they carry the colors in cans, IE: john deere green, Penske Yellow, etc.

larry ivy
#14007 Fri Aug 29 2003 07:17 PM
M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Someone told me once that NAPA will mix any paint you want and put it in a spray can...worth a try.

#14008 Mon Sep 01 2003 10:07 AM
C
C
ha ha ha! djhubba,

Matte black is the best thing around. My old skool bicycle cruiser I just chopped is matte black (big whitewalls and red rims), I did my buddy's Honda VTR in matte black, and well, if it's a hot rod and ain't matte black, it ain't a hot rod.

I'm hoping to get a deal on a Wayne 70 near my house. I want to do the doors in matte black and the tall-hip sides in bright red. Rockabilly petro. I considerd this on my Wayne 60, but she really does deserve better than that.

#14009 Mon Sep 01 2003 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Right on Chris...way to go..sounds cool. Good luck pickin up that Wayne 70 rockabilly pump, sounds fun.
---------------------------------------------
Hubba

[This message has been edited by djhubba (edited 09-01-2003).]

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#14010 Sun Sep 07 2003 08:06 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I have looked in a local phone book and on the web trying to find a place to get a pump top powder coated. The closest place I could find was in Atlanta which is over 1 hour from my house. I've never had anything powder coated and do not really know what type of places do it. Would local bodyshops do powder coating? Anyone have any suggestions on how I could find somewhere closer to home. I work in Rome, Ga and it is a fairly large town(population 34980).
Thanks.

#14011 Sun Sep 07 2003 08:56 AM
Online Cool
Try asking local sandblasters about who does powdercoating. They may have connections. Very few body shops will have the equipment. That's more of an industrial thing. Vendors like Eastwood sell powder coat equipment and materials.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#14012 Sun Sep 07 2003 10:18 AM
K
Koz Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
K
For what it is worth - I was told that JB Weld can be used for powdercoating and that it will not bubble as with body putty. This comes from NIC Industries in White City Oregon by way of Brandon Grady who is the manager of the place.

Al Kozeliski

#14013 Sun Sep 07 2003 11:46 AM
T
T
I am currently having a visible pump painted with powder coat paints. I was quoted painting with 2 colors at $200. I left the frame of the pump assembled so it might cost more if totally disassembled. I was told that polurethane paints were the best spray-on paints but was quoted $200 for one quart of red paint. The powdercoating business told me to use hi-temp liquid metal paste (contains aluminum) to fill rust pits, etc. The pump was straight but had some rusting. I sanded the putty after filling. I have no experience with body work but I think the red parts (sheet metal) look great. The green parts will be completed this week. I can offer no side-by-side comparison of paint products but I think my pump is going to look very good and have a durable finish at a very reasonable price.

#14014 Sun Sep 07 2003 07:42 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I'll check around w/ local sanders and see if they can point me in the right direction. I don't think I could do a good job powder coating it myself. Since it is a small item, I think it'll give me an idea of whether I might want to get some larger items coated later.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved