Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#14488 Wed Jul 02 2003 12:54 PM
B
Buzzard Offline OP
OP Offline
B
First guys Does any one know of away to either replace or repair the base fixture for where the globe sits? (See forthcoming pic)?
The next questions was raised to me by an antique dealer "Wouldn't it retain its value better in its current condition" meaning antiques lose alot of value if someone restores them to like new condition. Thus My question does this principle have any application to antique gas pumps? My opion would be NO because of how old cars get restored and incerase there worth. So on to the basics:
Should I have the chrome parts re plated?
Should I clean the beautiful blue glass cylinder to like new? ECT>
Bottom Line: I wish to give this piece all the respect it disevers. after all it's 46 years older than me.
I appericate everybodys help on this site and would like to thank you in advance.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#14489 Wed Jul 02 2003 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Depends - if its in pretty good original condition as is - I would clean and leave it, but, if its all rusted and banged up I would restore it. If it is pretty good in original condition and you restore it ....you can never go back - I know pump guys that just want good clean originals and wont touch restored ones - if its in bad shape I would restore it ...more pleasing to the eye and you can do it any brand you want - good luck
--------------------------------------------
Hubba

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#14490 Wed Jul 02 2003 02:40 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
An original Gilmore visible at the GPM auction just brought about 3 times the going price of that pump. Paint was cracked and weathered but it looked good. Be careful if your pump is pretty good to start with. as far as Chrome, Show car type restos on pumps can get boring, they can start to look like brand new items instead of preserved pieces of history. Also keep in mind that they are pumps not cars and often were repainted with a brush which was perfectly acceptable when they were in use...................dodogas

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved