Next Thread
Print Thread
#170285 Sat Jan 16 2010 09:59 AM
J
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
Hi, just wondering if anyone had any info on Curt's Oil Co. I believe this is a pump plate and cant find any info on it. Its embossed tin. Any help is appreciated!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Dont know anything about it, but that is a very cool sign. I like the globes that have rockets on them too.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Nice find on the sign smile

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
T
T
PCM's Guide to Gas Pump Restoration states that Curt's Oil was out of Muscoobie (sp) Oklahoma.

T
T
daaaaaaaaa........let me try that again.....Muskogee, Ok.
You'd think I had never heard a County/Western song, lol

P
P
CURTS WAS STARTED IN LAWTON OKLAHOMA AND THEN MOVED TO MUSKOGEE, OKLAHOMA. HERE IS A LINK. I HAVE A PICTURE OF AN ABANDONED OLD CURTS IN MEDICINE PARK, OKLAHOMA. ILL TRY TO POST IT LATER,

HERS THE LINK http://www.gassigns.org/curts.htm

MIKE

P
P
IS THE SIGN FOR SALE? LINK TO OLD CURTS STATION

http://www.johnnyowens.com/searchdisplay.php

MIKE

Last edited by pony1966; Mon Jan 18 2010 08:24 AM.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Curt's used to a big cut-rate gasoline marketer in the Lawton area years ago before Fina jobber Bill Malone bought a bunch of its stations and sold unbranded gas as "GAS" under a green and yellow sign and then later as Fina outlets. The firm was founded by a man named Curtsinger in the 1940s and was based in Lawton (their headquarters and bulk plant at 900 Rogers Lane) until the early '70s when the firm moved its headquarters to Muskogee.
Curt's was the price leader in Lawton during the 1950s and 1960s and sparked many gas wars in the city with prices dropping to as low as 19 cents per gallon. Their stations were located at S. 11th and C Avenue (still in operation under a different brand name), S. Sheridan and B Avenue, 15th and Lee Blvd. (still standing as a used-car lot) and at S. 2nd and H Avenue south of the railroad underpass, along with another location on Highway 49 near Medicine Park. They sold Curt's Power-Packed Regular and Curt's Power-Packed Ethyl along with their own brand of motor oils - which were available at local auto parts stores, garages and car dealers throughout Southwest Oklahoma.

I'm not the author but it is a good little short history of the company . I have a rough 2 gallon but would like to get some quarts if anyone has some they would sell,

Jay

HPIM1699.JPG HPIM1700.jpg

Jay Leeper
J
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
Thanks for all the info guys. I figured the sign was from the 1950s/60s. Im probably going to end up selling it or trading it for something I collect like Lion oil or old thermometers.

J
J
Wow! What a blast from the past! I lived within walking distance of the Curt's Gas Station near Medicine Park, OK. My best friend was Tommy Curtsinger. We used to hang out at that station quite often and at his beautiful house where we fished and rode horses, raised fighting roosters (back when it wasn't a big deal), went to school together, etc. We were only 14 then. That sign really brings back old memories of the early 60's.

Did you sell the sign?

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Welcome JJ
I would like to hear any Curt's history or stories you have. I think I saw the pump plate sell on ebay.
Been after some quarts for quite awhile and just got these in the mail. The premium HD list Lawton as the home, the other two have no city listed on them so they might be from after the move to Muskogee. Still looking if anyone has any different ones.

curt's 3.JPG

Jay Leeper
J
J
Yeah, if I only knew back then what I know now! I could have gotten all sorts of Curt's items. The Curtsingers had a beautiful house, with a paved road all the way thru their front lawn that must have been two acres. They had a great fishing pond, horses, motorcycles, etc. I has just a poor country boy who lived down the lane. Tommy Curtsinger and I spent many days playing, hunting, fishing together. I went back for a visit many years ago but the whole area had changed. Our old house was gone. Two of the ponds where we used to fish were gone.....it was sad. The Curt's gas station was a short walk from their house. This was on the highway going towards Medicine Park. Do you know any of the Curtsingers?

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved