Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1545 Thu Oct 25 2007 01:13 PM
C
OP Offline
C
I am about to buy a couple of lubesters and wanted to know what is the best way to clean the inside. I've seen posts talking about cutting them open, removing baffles, etc. but is that necessary? Is disposal of the resulting mess a problem? Thanks.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#1546 Thu Oct 25 2007 08:02 PM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
You can also check your local machine shop. They could dunk it in the dunk tank & that would remove all the oil & grease residue inside & out. The other way is a degreaser let it soak for a day or two. Then pressure wash it the best you can & get the rest by hand. Just remember to remove all the oil you can if you do step one. Hope this helps

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
#1547 Fri Oct 26 2007 05:16 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
CP:

I've got a metal stripping place I deal with. They completly submerge the items to clean them - and as an added bonus, they put a protective coating on the cleaned metal to prevent it from rusting.

The coating washes off with soap and water when you're ready to paint. But I leave the interior coated so I don't have to worry about any rust starting there.

The rest of the parts are small enough to go into my sandblaster to be cleaned.

Later . . .

Jim

#1548 Fri Oct 26 2007 06:44 AM
S
S
I recently bought a lubester and was thinking of the same thing. I came up with 2 options.

First, my local machine shop didn't have a tank big enough for the lubester; also, their degreaser was a pressure wash system that wouldn't work very well due to the small opening of the lubester. They did have a furnace that they cook parts in that would work. They were talking about $100 to do the lubester.

Second was the chemical paint stripping operation. They also cook the parts in an oven prior to dipping.

My concern with both of these options is the cooking in an oven. I'm not sure how the lubester was manufactured, specifically how the seams are joined to be liquid tight. I'm guessing that it is welded, but I'm not 100% certain. If not, will the high heat "melt" however the seams are joined?

Appreciate all your thoughts on this.

Steve

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved