Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
Greetings Everyone,

As a new member to the forum and a VERY new gas pump restorer I’d like to take a moment to say “Hello” to all of you. My name is Michael Botkin and I’m from St. Louis, Missouri. In addition to my newly acquired interest in restoring a couple of pumps I’ve come across, I am also restoring my first car (back from the high school years), a 71 Mach 1 Mustang.

Unable to fight off the urges, I finally bought a pump to restore. About a week later I ran across another at a decent price so I snagged it up too. My first pump is a Bennett 966 while the second is a Boswer 595 (I believe). I was hoping the Bowser was a 575 as there appears to be reproduction parts available for it but there is a 595 that appears on its aluminum tag so I’m assuming that indicates it as being a model 595. The 595 is missing a lot of parts and the 966 has a lot of parts that need to be repaired/replaced/reconditioned.

Not knowing ANYTHING about pumps makes the restorations all the more intimidating. Ideally, I’d like to restore them for appearance only rather than function though I have heard of pumps that reset their dials when turned on. I’m hoping to find out if anyone could recommend information sources for diagrams, part number, part pictures, etc. for either or both of these pumps. Sources for parts would also be GREATLY appreciated. The 595 does not have face plates and I can not seem to locate reproductions. Though not accurate, would 575 face plates work on a 595? I guess the same question applies to the stainless trim for the 575. It appears to be the same as the 595’s but may be different in size or dimension. Both pumps need nozzles and I would like to find accurate nozzles for them.

My 966 was a Zephyr pump but I can not find Zephyr decals or globes anywhere so I will have to pick another oil company to go with. I’m also hoping that a Bennett 966 and a 1066 have a lot of interchangeable parts as I’ve found some 1066 parts on-line. Both need glass as well but if I can use the 575 glass for the 595, then I should have that covered. The Bennett has some serious dents in its metal but I’m hoping to be able to work them out or fill them in.

Well, I ranted on enough for one posting. Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to offer any assistance with parts, documentation, or resources. I look forward to getting to know the folks here.

Take care,

------------------
Michael Botkin
Bennett 966
Bowser 595
71 Mach 1 Mustang

Michael Botkin
2 Bennett 966's
Bowser 595 (Looking for parts)
71 Mach 1 Mustang
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome STLMach1,

You have just started an addiction weather you know or not. I have been collecting since Nov. 2000 and got hooked fast. This site is very helpful. For parts ... look under the link directory/Vendors New or Reproduction/Full Line Petroliana or Pump Restoration Parts. You will find Vendors there that will help you with all your parts. Jack Sims has a book that was do out May 10 but changed to May 25 that will be helpful also with history and pictures. He is from your area. Jack Sims I have a book ordered and can't wait myself. Just remember that it is your pump and to restore it to what you like, color, signage, globe, etc. good luck, John

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Jarvis is quite right, welcome to the addictions. You almost have it as bad as I do. You just need to through in Coke machines with the Mustangs and gas pumps. As for the parts check with Vics Place or Gas Pump Heaven, they should have some of what you need.
About the Mach, what color? Ram air? Drag pack? I have a 70, Grabber Green, C6 auto, shaker hood with the 428CJ. I am looking to fully restore it in the next few years, just collecting parts at the moment. Let us know how everything turns out. Good Luck.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I can help you with Bennett parts, but the 595 parts will be tougher to find. The faces are not the same as the 565, 575 or 585. Ron Scobie www.gaspump.com

Ron Scobie
http://www.gaspump.com or
rscobie(TheAtSymbol)gaspump.com
Phone - Six five one-653-6503
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Call me at 405-282-5586 and I will send you a 60 page all color catalog containing nothing but gas pump restoration supplies, original pumps for sale, & service station memorabilia. We are Vic's Place, and we are here to serve you.

Seth/Vic's Place

S
OP Offline
S
Jarvis,

Thanks so much for the big welcome. I have only recently begun to look into service station memorabilia beyond just pumps and I can feel the addiction starting. I'm really excited about restoring my pumps and will probably look to the folks here for many pointers. I am also awaiting an Amazon delivery of Jack's book but was not aware until now that he and I were from the same area. I may try to look him up sometime soon. - Take care

archimedes,

It's funny you should mention Coke machines. Though I'm probably going to go the Pepsi route, I am hoping to soon acquire a soda machine as well. I truly understand the collecting parts aspect of the Mustangs. Sounds like you've got a really nice one there. My 71 has a 351C & C6 with Ram-Air and is Light Metallic Pewter. I have been searching for parts for quite some time myself. Thanks for the greeting and best of luck with your projects!

Ron,

Thanks so much for the offer of help with the Bennett parts. I'm in the process of trying to compile a list of the things I'm going to need for it. Despite not being original, are the Bowser 575 face plates the same dimensions as the 595? If so, I may try to put them in despite having to make any mounting modifications. My 595 has NO internal components at all so I will even have to fake the dials by cutting wooden (??) circles to place the repo numbered strips around (unless of course I can find original hardware first). Ideally from the exterior, it should "look" complete. Thanks for the info and I will most likely be in touch with you soon concerning the Bennett parts. Take care!

Seth,

I will be in touch to get a copy of your catalog. Thanks very much for the info!

------------------
Michael Botkin
Bennett 966
Bowser 595
71 Mach 1 Mustang

[This message has been edited by STLMach1 (edited 05-14-2002).]

Michael Botkin
2 Bennett 966's
Bowser 595 (Looking for parts)
71 Mach 1 Mustang
A
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
A
Michael,
Pewter always looked good on that bodystyle. On the interior computer and dials, you should be able to find one at one of the parts dealers or ebay. I believe all pumps back then used a universal Veeder Root unit so it should take much to find one. Forgot to mention, I have a couple of Pepsi machines too, Lol. Good luck with the projects.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved