Print Thread
#15755 Sat Jan 13 2007 07:29 PM
T
T-BONE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
FIRST OFF,, DID VELTEX SELL DIESEL FUEL?? THEN NEXT,, ANY EXPERTS ON OLD DIESEL FUEL VERSES THE BRAND,, BRAND,, NEW LOW SULFER FUEL.. I HAVE READ THAT A GUY LAST NAME,, NAMED "DIESEL" INVENTED THE FIRST WORKING DIESEL ENGINE.. I THINK HIS FIRST NAME WAS " VIN " VIN DIESEL,, SOME OF YOU WILL GET IT,, SOME WON'T.... LETS TALK ALL DIESEL FOR AWHILE.. I'M UP ALL NIGHT.. T-BONE...

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#15756 Sat Jan 13 2007 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If I remember correctly, the Diesel engine was designed to run on peanut oil, which was developed by George Washington Carver. Today's "Diesel" fuel, was a by product, of the refining process, that just happened to work in Diesel's engine. WOW!!!! that hurt. Thats going WAY back into the memory archives....
http://thegwcstory.tripod.com/aboutcarv.html

Here is a link. I'm still looking for details....

[This message has been edited by Thunder II (edited 01-13-2007).]

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
#15757 Sat Jan 13 2007 08:20 PM
Online Cool
Here's some diesel info from Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#15758 Sat Jan 13 2007 09:15 PM
T
T-BONE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
FROM WHAT I HAVE HEARD,, SULFUR IS THE PRIMARY LUBRICANT IN DIESEL FUEL, WHICH LUBES INJECTION PUMPS AND THE INJECTORS.. THIS NEW FUEL IS LOW SULFER, LIKE 50?? PARTS PER MILLION, VERSES 500?? PARTS PER MILLION BEFORE.. MY QUESTION IS,, WHAT WAS IT WHEN DIESELS FIRST CAME OUT[1910??? ] COMPARED TO TODAY?? IS IT KINDA' LIKE GOING FROM 92 OCTANE GAS TO 85 AND BURNING UP VALVES ON THE OLDER ENGINES?? IF YOU OWN A $30K ++ DIESEL TRUCK, WOULD YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE RUNNING THIS NEW FUEL WITHOUT A SUPPLEMENT ADDITIVE??THANKS FOR THE LINKS.. T-BONE..

#15759 Sun Jan 14 2007 07:06 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
We run high sulfer or "off highway" diesel in all our off road equipment at work. Its colored bright red so I guesse if you were getting an inspection you would get caught.-

#15760 Sun Jan 14 2007 07:41 AM
S
S
It is an urban legend that the engine developed by Rudolf Diesel ran on peanut oil.
Interestingly, this legend seems to be very popular on American bio diesel websites.
First of all, peanut oil was way too expensive to be used as a fuel - it would have been like using a fine Scottish whiskey to clean your windshield... In Europe, there wasn't hardly any peanut oil at all.
Secondly, the technology to use peanut or other vegetable oil in his engines was developed 14 years after his death (the fuel injection by Carl Bosch).
But indeed, Diesel did deliver a famous speech advocating "alternative" sources of fuels in 1912, some historians even claim that Diesel's mysterious death was a work of the petrochemical industry.

#15761 Sun Jan 14 2007 08:35 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey Jim. The "Red fuel" is specificly for off highway vehicles, as it is does not have road use taxes added, so its much cheaper. The red dye is put into the fuel to identify it a "Non-road use" fuel. When trucks go through their road side inspections, the inspectors might check the fuel with a paper strip to look for the red dye. Usually landscapers and excavating companies are subject to fuel inspections.

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
#15762 Sun Jan 14 2007 08:49 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T-BONE;
Looks like the others crashed for the nite so I thought I would try and help.

Don't know the really old diesel numbers.
But, can tell you this.

Best place to look for the Diesel info is on the Old Tractor Collectors websites.

In the 1980's, before EPA mandates for Lower suflur diesel. Some companies were selling diesel with a Sulfur rating between 3000 ppm - 5000 ppm. of sulfur. (ppm = Parts Per Million) There may have been some higher than that.
After the mandate for LOW SULFUR Diesel it was reduced to 500 ppm.
The new mandate is for Ultra Low Sulfer Diesel at 15 ppm. What a drop.

With so much sulfur being removed companies had to start using a lubricity additive to protect the engines.

Early Sulfur contents were varied and Too Much Sulfur was actually a bad thing. So, Oil Companies developed an oil specially blended for Diesel engines to deal with this problem.
I remember back in the 1980's when I first started driving a truck, they were still selling Diesel Oil for engines. As opposed to the regular Motor Oil for cars.
Hope this clears up a few questions.
Chuck

#15763 Sun Jan 14 2007 09:19 PM
T
T-BONE Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
THANKS FOR THE INFO EVERYONE!!!.. ANY VELTEX OR VICO DIESEL GLOBES FOR SALE?? LOL!! -------------SERIOUSLY???

[This message has been edited by T-BONE (edited 01-14-2007).]

#15764 Sun Jan 14 2007 11:02 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Howdy T-BONE,
One of your questions was about using a supplement additive. My experience with an additive is on my 82 Chevy 4x4 with the 6.2 liter diesel. After owning it a few months it started blowing white smoke and would not run above an idle. I figured it was the injection pump. After finding out how much a replacement would be, I figured I would take a look inside. I took the top cover off to see what it looked like inside. Found water, rust, dirt, goo and a little diesel. I figured I could not do anymore damage so I cleaned it up the best I could. Put it back together and got it started. I was really amazed that it even started after how much damage was in there. It ran great for a few more months then the throttle lever inside the pump started getting a sticky spot. It would push down halfway then stop. You would then have to mash down as hard as you could before it would go any further. The company that made the injection pump also made an additive. I added it and the sticky throttle went away. I ran it for a few years then it finally saw its last days. If an additive can help a worn out and damaged injection pump I believe it would be good for new one.
Mike

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved