Next Thread
Print Thread
#187831 Wed May 19 2010 12:42 AM
T
Termite Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Greetings from charming San Antonio.

Yes, I'm a nOObie, and yes, this is my first post so I hope this thread/listing is alright. If not, Mods, please feel free to move/delete with my apologies.

I first wanted to say that I've been doing a lot of reading/forum browsing and this is a really great community you guys have got going on here. Thanks for letting me be a part of it.

I am holding an official;
"This Is A Really Cool Nozzle But Since A Baby Is On The Way, It Needs A New Home... But I Don't Know What In The Heck It's Worth.... So Why Not Put It In An Auction" Auction.

This listing is for One(1)Vintage Wheaton Brass Fueling Nozzle.

It is a Model 1-250 (Series 250) and what's unique about this is that it's a "Whistle Nozzle" --which I discovered courtesy of this site/forum and also was the only place I was able to find any information regarding this item. (so Kudos and Thanks!)

So it must be pretty rare/hard-to-find.

(http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...=true#Post57607)

"It is used for filling containers without the aid of a light. A foolproof whistle gives warning when the container is filled. A hiss is audible during filling as air is venting through the orifices in the whistle tube and whistle tongue opening. When the liquid rises and covers the orifices in the whistle tube the increase in air pressure venting through the whistle tongue opening produces a warning indicating that the container is filled".

It is of solid brass construction and is in really good condition. The lever squeezes open and the springs closed normally; like it's supposed to.

I haven't disassembled the nozzle nor have I tried to clean off any of the patina.

Viewing the nozzle from the 1 1/4" inlet side, the rubber gasket looks to be in great condition and still holds a seal.
(Test performed with very sophisticated low-air pressure test...I blew in it. Heh!)

The rubber seal on the nozzle's throat does have some age cracks (see pic 1) but only on one side...?? (see pic 2). There are a few very minor scratches and a couple of small dents on the nozzle outlet tube (the largest dent can be seen in pic 2, up by the throat seal), however, the item is in no way abused or beaten-up. I only mention this in the interest of full disclosure.

While I am confident with the accuracy of the description, I am in no way an expert on this item. Other than the cursory inspection described above, I have no way of actually testing the item. Therefore, outside of guaranteeing that it is as I've described, it is being sold on an As-Is basis. So take it like you take your bride --guts, hide, hair, feathers, and all.

This is an up-front and honest auction so PLEASE, lets keep all the cards on the table by posting all bids and questions in this thread (not in pvt/ msgs.)and I will do my best to answer them.

The auction will end on Sunday, May 23, 2010 promptly at 8:00pm, CST

**Add $10 flat-rate for shipping.
(It will either be USPS or UPS but it will be insured and sent priority)

Let's start the bidding @ $45.00

Thank you for taking the time and best wishes.

Sincerely,
Termite

Last edited by Termite; Wed May 19 2010 12:44 AM.

Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield
Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

Termite #187841 Wed May 19 2010 05:54 AM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Welcome aboard!
I'll start your auction for you...
$50 bid!!!

T
Termite Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thank you for the welcome and for your participation Tom.

Termite #187903 Wed May 19 2010 02:49 PM
Q
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Q
ok, my pocket's aren't that deep right now but i will go $55. maybe i can get lucky.

im always looking but never find, why........
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
These nozzles were primarily used by the Military during WW2 and Korea. They were made to fit the top of a GI can (a gas can for those of you who never were in the service). These cans could then be filled at night without the need for lights. We used them when I was in the Corp of Engineers in the 1950s.

Here is a picture of them filling cans from my website:

http://www.petrolianacollectibles.com/wheaton%20nozzles.htm

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
T
Termite Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Mr Quincy, I completely understand the pockets being more shallow these days; so I appreciate your bidding. But right now you're sitting in the driver's seat with lady luck snuggled right-up next to ya', if that's any consolation. smile

Mr. Sim, I also owe you thanks for providing the only informational lead I was able to find --on the entire Interweb-- in that "Wheaton Whistle Nozzle" thread you started. I posted the link (in my initial post above), and you deserve the credit.

Since you're the only person I know who knows anything about these nozzles, much less put them to use, would you mind answering a couple of questions?

Did they actually whistle?

What did they sound like, a quieter version one of those old slide whistles?

Was there any type of pressure pump on the fuel supply tanks or were they a gravity-flow type of set-up?

(wondering if this effected the pitch/volume of the whistle?)

I'm just curious and I find this interesting; so thanks again for your help. It's certainly appreciated.

Regards,
Bug

Termite #188050 Thu May 20 2010 08:06 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I looked at the pics from Jack Sim....Cool Nozzle. I'll be the next bidder at 60.00

......John
fanfan75601@yahoo.com
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I was a little liberal when I said "We" used them. My 3 1/2 years in the Engineers was mostly spent in an office, it seemed that I could type almost 90 words a minute on a manual typewriter, so my exptiese were not used in the field. I should have said our men used them.
I don't know what they do today, but during the second world war and Korea, the people in charge of supplying the gasoline were Pipline Companies (again part of the Engineers). They were always on the move, setting up pipelines and oil depots as we called them. Tankers were used to bring the gasoline as close to the trucks and tanks as possible. There was at least one GI can on every vehicle and many on vehicles like tanks.
I too would like to know what kind of a whistle they make.

Jack

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #188132 Thu May 20 2010 06:48 PM
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
I also have a nozzle like this, however mine was made by OPW in Cincinatti Ohio. Inside the small chamber on the barrel of the nozzle is a small fiber ball like a referees whistle and it floats in the chamber. I tried to fake air pressure to make it work, but nothing happened. Until I seen Jacks discription, I really did not know what it was. Thanks Jack!

Norm Huff
Termite #188317 Sat May 22 2010 06:49 PM
T
Termite Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Mr Sim, I understand. Thanks again for joining in with your insight.

Cmeon66, unlike yours, this nozzle doesn't have anything floating around inside the chamber. I believe that the sounds it produces is strictly mechanical in nature; due to the changes in air pressure in whistle tube/vent.

According to Wheaton's ad in link above, (paraphrasing);

"As the container is being filled, a "hiss" is audible as air is vented through these orifices in the whistle tube... when the orifices are finally covered in liquid, the increase in air pressure that's venting through the tongue opening causes an audible warning indicating that the container is filled"

I'm guessing that it changes from a "hiss" to a "whistle"...?

But other than these orifices, there doesn't appear to be anything floating around inside the chamber like yours.

As it stands now, with less than 24 hours until the close of this auction,

johninlongview is currently the high bidder @ $60.00 (Thank you, John!)

Again, bidding will end promptly @ 8:00.00 PM CST. Sunday, 5/23/2010!

If your bid is posted @ 8:00.01, it's going to be too late. So if you're truly interested in owning this item, I urge you get your bids in early enough to avoid the disappointment of having it slip through your fingers from your late bidding and the auction being closed.

This is the only way that I know to do this fairly.

Thanks again to those who have participated. To those on the sidelines; don't be shy. Jump on in and join the fun. The water's fine.

The item is boxed-up securely, packaged nicely, and patiently sitting on the shelf awaiting instructions on where it will find its new home.

Best wishes to all,
Bug

Termite #188427 Sun May 23 2010 05:40 PM
T
Termite Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Just a friendly reminder: Bidding for this auction will close in approx. 20 Minutes.

Thank you

T
Termite Offline OP
OP Offline
T
**Auction Closed**

Thanks y'all for your participation.

Congratulations johninlongview! (pm on the way)

Best wishes,
Bug

Link Copied to Clipboard

Support the expenses of Oldgas.com. Thanks!

Copyright © 2024 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved