Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#16253 Wed Sep 18 2002 06:11 PM
J
OP Offline
J
Well this IS a forum - so my way.

I keep Jack's book (Will it always be known this way?) in my car. You just never know what you will find. Last week while traveling I stopped at a garage sale. The usual stuff, but sitting nearby - and not part of the sale - was a real nice Wayne 100-A. You know with the rotating reel for the hose on the side. I asked, "Is the pump for sale? Ans. "Maybe, it ought to be worth at least $200." I replyed, "Oh, I'll give you $200 (not really expecting that it was really for sale), but let's find out what it really is worth." I got Jack's book and together we looked at the picture on page 327. I identified myself as an antique dealer (small time), and said I could only afford a wholesale price if I expected to resell it - and I made an offer. They really didn't know if they really wanted to sell, so I said, "Well you know the book value and my fair (? I hope) offer. At least nobody will be able to take advantage of you." And I was on my way after a pleasant visit. Now four days latter I got a call and they accepted my offer - and I pick up the pump next week.

There are several points here. First, I really had no ideal what the pump was worth. Any interesting old pump ought to be worth $200, but having the book I had some hard knowledge. Second, by sharing the book I avoided the idea, "Well, wait until I find out what it REALLY is worth", response. So, I made a deal and somwhere down the line I will make a small profit. Importantly, thought another piece of Americana is saved.

Don't get me wrong, I like to haggle, but at my age I just don't want to cheat anyone. Bet, some of you heard of the ad "Chevy for sale, $300" and it turned out to be a Corvette? The owner was the mother of a deceased Viet Nam veteran in the version I heard.

So, Thanks Jack & all of you Petroliana fans.

------------------

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#16254 Wed Sep 18 2002 06:50 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Thanks

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#16255 Thu Sep 19 2002 06:02 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
John:

Great way to do business. More people in the world should run their lives that way.

Maybe I need to try that tactic. I've got a guy just down the road from me that has a extremely rusty Wayne 60 that he thinks is worth a fortune. I've had to drive by it everyday for 15 years and lust after it. Since I really didn't know what its real value was when I stopped at his place years ago, I was unwilling to bargain with him when he poo-pooed my offer to purchase.

I've been meaning to order 'THE BOOK' since I talked to Jack at Columbus. I just haven't gotten around to it. Since Ive' got a dozen pumps sitting around waiting for restoration, I haven't been real motivated to getting any more. But I might be able to shake this one free from the guy if I could prove what it's really worth.

Thanks for sharing your tale. Keep on collecting.

#16256 Thu Sep 19 2002 07:27 AM
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Excellent idea John! Tools are only as good as those that use them. I'll be packing my copy (in protective cover) on any flea market trips etc. Wish I had two copies!

#16257 Fri Sep 20 2002 09:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Great story!!A couple years ago I went to a yard sale, there sat a nice short Bowser. I asked and she said $200.00. I didn't have the money and thought it was out of line. A year later, I learned different. now the pump is gone and I wish I would of bought it.The point I guess is that you did great, fair, honest, and fun!!! Buy, Buy, Buy!!! Frank..

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved