Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#17018 Mon May 26 2003 10:45 AM
F
OP Offline
F
Hey gas guys!!!
Im currently restoring an Erie lubester that I found. I believe that it was equiped with hose and nozzel, however they are both gone.
Only the part that would have connected the hose assembly is left on the pump. Im having trouble finding any information on this type of pump and if anyone has any suggestions on where to look or who to talk to for restoring this one it would greatly help out!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#17019 Mon May 26 2003 12:16 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
When I wrote my gas pump book I mentioned in the front of the book that I did not like the use of the word "lubster" because it is used to describe items that were not used for oils. I believe this is an example of that.
It sounds like what you are describing is an Erie 165 (page 161 of my book) gas cart. Oil dispensers generally did not have a hose (although anything can be attached to anything) and if it had a hose it was generally used for gasoline.
I would suggest you get hold of Ron Scobie, he is good at making available items such as this.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#17020 Mon May 26 2003 07:35 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Sorry Jack! Didn't mean to step on any toes there. I bought what I thought what was three different "lubester" shaped items at cheese's show and I wanted to fix them up.
I'm new in the hobby and I want to send out a full heart felt apology. I haven't a clue.

#17021 Mon May 26 2003 07:58 PM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Don't sweat it fisheye. Everyone has an opinion on stuff. Practically everyone I know of in the hobby uses the term "lubester"

#17022 Mon May 26 2003 08:12 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Thanx Ohio guy! I was just on crspub site and they even call the Erie 165-A-200 nonportable square gasoline outfit (which sounds like mine) in the lubester catagory.
SO ANYWAYS.....If anyone knows of any pictures or information it would be a big, big help.

#17023 Mon May 26 2003 08:21 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
I apologize if my reply sounded as if it was directed at you, my intention was to direct it to the use of the word "lubster." This term was never used in the past, it is something the people in the hobby came up with. Intern it becomes a word used to describe something when you don't know what it is. In my book I also mentioned that the word "previsible" is an overworked word. For instance, in a previous book a picture of an Erie item was described as as previsible made in 1908. First of all Erie didn't go in business until 1922 and it was actually a pedestal pump made to pump kerosene and was introduced in 1933, well after the first visible pump was made. Because it looked old it was called a pre-visible.
My concern over the use of the correct terms stems from the fact many new people coming into this hobby see a reply or something in print using these terms so they automatically add these terms to their use. Rather than perpetuating the use of the incorrect term, why not try and describe an item with the correct term?
The correct term for what most people refer to as a "lubster" is oil or kerosene dispenser.

[This message has been edited by Jack Sim (edited 05-26-2003).]

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#17024 Mon May 26 2003 08:32 PM
F
OP Offline
F
OK, Right or wrong, I will call it a lubester and hold my chin high. I dont care if they dispensed koolaid out of it.
LUBESTER
LUBESTER
LUBESTER

If it looks like a...
And smells like a...

#17025 Mon May 26 2003 08:39 PM
F
OP Offline
F
I also have a Wayne 60 lubester Im looking for parts for.

#17026 Mon May 26 2003 08:40 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Just kidding

#17027 Mon May 26 2003 08:50 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I think lubester was a term used by people who worked in Lubritoriums, but it was a HYUGE, HUGE secret and they never said it in front of customers. AND they were extremely careful not to let it get mentioned in literature or to the media. Those guys were a group , like a fraternal organization. They hated the term " Automotive and Transportation lubrication Technician", in fact they hated it SOOO much that they referred to each other(when no one was listening) as lubesters. Also vessels that held fluids (and semi-solids, ie Grease) whose primary purpose was to lubricate things, were referred to (by these fellows) as lubesters.
Eventually time went on and pretty soon all the Lubritoriums disappeared , and the workers became very, very old. Then they started dying off , one by one, now they are almost all gone.!! BUT I met one of them once in a rest home , and in his semi-senile state, he spilled his guts and told me the secrets. Probably only because the others were all long gone and he no longer need worry about nasty consequences of revealing the big secret.
These guys are note to be confused with a group called "The Greasers!", but that is another topic.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dodogas, thats my story and I am sticking to it ..Who would you rather Believe???..ps up here its spelled lubester with 2 e's

#17028 Mon May 26 2003 09:14 PM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I for one appreciate Jack's clairication. I've never met the man, but suspect he is old. I dont say that out of disrespect, but simply because he's probably forgotten more than I will ever know. While sometimes harsh, I take his input to heart. As a relative newbie, I admit to picking up on words and even slogans as a way of relating to this wonderful "hobbie". If not corrected, I'm likely to pass the inaccuracies on to others less informed or to the next generation. I think it important to be precise or at least careful of causally passing on slang as gospel.

Anyway, it's late for me, too many beers, on this Holiday. Obviouslty, I'm not thinking clearly. But concentrating on this keyboard is making me sober enough to go to bed... nite nite...

Brian

#17029 Mon May 26 2003 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Saying you have a "lubester" is the same as saying your looking for parts to complete your "Texaco pump".
Untill you post [or send to Jim]a picture, most of us don't know what you have or need.
Dick

#17030 Tue May 27 2003 07:09 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Dodogas: You're crackin me up man. Awesome story.

#17031 Tue May 27 2003 05:19 PM
Online Cool
Here are images of the "lubester" that Fisheye19 sent to me.

Technically speaking, Jack Sim is right about the terms lubester and pre-visible. But both terms have gained wide use and acceptance across our hobby. In my opinion, it is too late to change that now.

The only difficulty is the misunderstanding caused by a hand pump gas tank being called a lubester or the misconception that all non-visible manual gas pumps are older than visible gas pumps. The word "pre-visible" suggests that it is older than a visible. That is often not the case.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

[This message has been edited by Oldgas (edited 05-27-2003).]

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#17032 Tue May 27 2003 05:50 PM
F
OP Offline
F
Thanks for the help Jim!

Page 1 of 2 1 2