Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#17677 Wed Oct 09 2002 06:43 PM
O
Olaf427 Offline OP
OP Offline
O
Hello to all , I'm very new to the Gas Pump hobby and I bought my first Tokheim it says Super Shell on the decals the mustard yellow and red color need to be redone. The metal plate on the side is worn but it reads serial number 07934 date 6-55 and there is a No. B -313835. My questions are about restoring it , First where is the best place to buy the decals , new chrome and one glass pane. 2nd whats it worth in fair condition (not rusted out) ? What is it worth restored ? Did this pump come with a glass globe ? and are they available. My intension is to restore it and place it among my car collection. So should I do anything to it so that it can stay inside? Thanks for your input. Olaf

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#17678 Wed Oct 09 2002 11:10 PM
K
K
It would help to know what model your pump is. If you can't find a model number or the number is illegible, could you post a picture of the pump in question?

#17679 Thu Oct 10 2002 07:14 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Welcome to this insanity we call petroliana!

Let's take your questions in order. Some of the best places to get restoration supplies are Vic's Place (vicsplace.com) or Weber's Nostalgia Supermarket (weberspump.com). There are others you could find on the internet, but these are two of the oldest and the biggest. Both of these companies carry numerous decals, globes, chrome and glass. On you pump, you can get a piece of glass cut at any hardware store. It's just flat glass - nothing special about it.

Regarding the globe. If your pump has a hole in the top or a cover/plate that would cover the hole, then it can have a globe. It may also have a 'ring' attached around the hole. This is what holds the glob onto the pump. Most of the time these rings need to be replaced. They are available from the restoration sources listed above.

Pricing? It's worth (right now) what you paid for it. Restored? Well, without knowing the exact model number of the pump and seeing how well you do restoring it. I can't give you a value. Check E-bay for similar pump's selling prices and base your estimate on those. Remember, when it is restored you will want to make sure you have insurance coverage on it. You may have to write a 'rider' to your homeowner's policy.

For staying inside. Remove the pump unit from inside the cabinet and discard it. This will decrease the overall weight considerably. Keep the metering unit (the unit with the numbers that shows through the porcelain plates). Clean everything until there is no residual gas left in the pump cabinet or fittings. Sandblasting works good for the larger metal parts. Do any 'body' work required. Paint everything inside and out. Re-wire the electrical (or have it done by an electrican), leaving a standard electrical cord to plug into the wall. Replace the hose with a new one and you're all set to display it.

You are not constrained to restoring the pump to a Super Shell. You can do it as any brand you like. If you do decide to restore it as a Shell pump, the paint codes are Yellow PPG Ditzler #80104 and Red PPG Ditzler #70001. These are pre-59 pump colors for Shell and are from an old 1960 color book. Check with your automotive paint store to make sure that the codes haven't changed. Most of us are using the new Base Coat/Clear Coat paints for our pumps. It works out great and the shine is fantastic!

Hope this helps! Make sure you post a picture in the Showcase section when you're finished.

#17680 Thu Oct 10 2002 09:15 AM
O
Olaf427 Offline OP
OP Offline
O
A many thanks to you guys, I tried to post a picture on this thread , but I cant figure it out . My pump is the shorter version (5' )with a capped off hole on the top. I figure I will restore it to what it was originally a Super shell. Some of the chrome is rather pitted and I know rechroming is a bit expensive , can this chrome be bought new ? Thanks again . Olaf

#17681 Thu Oct 10 2002 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
Yes the chrome (actually stainless steel) top band is available - but it doesn't have the lettering on it. The cost is $25 from Vic's. If you are real careful with a small body hammer you can probbly get most of the dings out of your trim and have it re-polished. Some polisher's even do the restoration work for you. Check around.

You may hve some 'pot metal' hose guards on the edges of the pump that are pitted badly. These too, are available. Check out the web sites for additional supplies/signs/globes/hoses/etc. to complete your restoration.

Remember to have fun!

P.S. Check out this restored 39 short on e-bay. Number 720701302. It looks real good.

#17682 Thu Oct 10 2002 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Gaspumpheaven.com is an excellant place for repo parts (trim, sheetmetal, globes, decals, hoses etc). They make most of the sheetmetal that everyone else sells. VERY FRIENDLY and HELPFULL.
Dick

#17683 Fri Oct 11 2002 12:33 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Olaf...call me at 888.918.7867. I am with Vic's Place, Inc. I will personally handle your order, since you are a "newbie" the website may be a tad confusing. Give me an opportunity to supply you with your restoration materials (we even carry the paint) and I guarantee you will be more than satisfied.
Seth Robbins
Vic's Place Inc.

P.S. We all manufacture different segments of the supply market and we all sell each others products. Hey Dick...your're hurting my feelings, never any plugs for me?!?! HA, HA

[This message has been edited by Seth Robbins (edited 10-11-2002).]

#17684 Fri Oct 11 2002 11:27 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ron Scobie and Time Passages also have lots of repo parts.

#17685 Sat Oct 12 2002 12:31 PM
Online Cool
Olaf427,

If you need help posting an image, send the image to me as an attachment to email or on a disk or a photo print by regular mail. See the link, "How this forum works..." just under the title on any forum page that lists the topics (messages).

To send email to a member, click on the little post card icon to the right of the person's name and time/date on the message page. An email link to me also appears on those topic list pages, click on "Moderated by Oldgas"

------------------
Oldgas
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#17686 Sun Oct 13 2002 09:55 AM
Online Cool
Olaf427 sent this picture of his pump:

------------------
Oldgas
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#17687 Sun Oct 13 2002 06:51 PM
O
Olaf427 Offline OP
OP Offline
O
The pump is not much to look at but she will come back to life soon. Some fool put a latex coat of house paint on it but other than that and some surface rust its in fine shape. Thanks for posting the picture OLDGAS . Olaf

#17688 Mon Oct 14 2002 12:34 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Since no one else has mentioned it, your pump is a Tokheim 300 or 305 (since I can't see the side I can't tell which one it is. The pumps were made between 1955 and 1960). The pumps are pictured on page 295 of my new Gas Pump Identification book. I have literature pertaining to the pump, such as ads, sales literature and parts/repair manuals. If interested in the book please see my website: www.crspub.com
If interested in the literatue, please email me: jhsim@swbell.net
Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved