Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
I'd be surprised if this hasn't been discussed in depth but I can't find it by searching "removing cylinder" in the search function. Is there any way anyone has found that improves the possibility of removing a glass cylinder from a visible pump without breaking it? I just bought a Fry 117 with the Rush top conversion that has an original cylinder in it with the original cement. There is less than an 1/8" of cement between the glass and the lip on the iron base. Not much room to get a carbide bit on a die grinder in there. Has anyone ever tried sulfuric acid? The cement has the appearance of a lime or calcium based cement. I think a strong acid eats those two things. I thought about trying a few drips to see what happened. I have read one entry in the past where the recommendation was made to slowly release pressure on the rods by turning them slightly in a progressive fashion. Any other ideas? Thanks

MB
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...get a carbide bit on a die grinder...
DON'T even think of using it
use a small drill bit with your thumb & index finger & make lots of holes all the way around cyl. Pour Brake Fluid on & let it sit for a few days to let it soften. Using a seal pick, work @ getting the Litharge Glycerin out, add more brake fluid as needed.

M
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
So that's what that stuff is. Doing a quick search on the net gave a definition: "Mixture of glycerin, water, and litharge (lead monoxide) to give, when cured, an acid-resistant cement." That sure answers the question about the Sulfuric Acid. Thanks

MB
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
& Don't get in a Hurry, might take 3 cases or Kegs of suds Before your done !
Hopefully your over 18 so you won't do something stupid when you drink!

M
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
M
What? I've been over 18 for 28 years and still do stupid things when I drink. It's just a darn good thing I don't drink very often!!

MB
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
I have had to stay away from the drill bits because the glass is so close and I didn't want to screw it up. I have found dental tools to work very well when softened and even before. Sometimes even lacquer thinner works. Slow and cautious though, and that dental tool works great. Do not breath in or use anything that would cause air flow though. I have been told it is toxic and if you did then use a respirator.

Craig
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Mike, I've always had good luck with muratic acid. It doesn't evaporate like laquer thinner does. Even though the compound is supposed to be resistant to acid......it never seems to work out that way. I guess that it's due to the age and time apparently breaks down it's toughness? Good luck, Paul www.severngaspumps.com

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
And DON'T do it where it's cold. I think the cold makes the glass more prone to breakage.

Last edited by Daveb; Thu Nov 18 2010 08:36 AM. Reason: Grammar
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
Dicks idea seems like the best answer. I have three broken cylinders that I kept just to remind me of what NOT to do.Each one of them broke after I had gotten the top loose and released pressure off the glass, and while working on the bottom with such things as sharpened hack saw blades, thin pointed screwdrivers and assorted acids, the d--m thing broke while I was drinking coffee 10ft. away.I guessed I have the Jarvis, jinx.Best of luck! Norm.

Norm Huff
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Never use Muriatic Acid on Galvanized castings, aluminum or pot metal. Chemical reaction WILL happen. Destroys galv, alum & pot [white] metal.
Works good @ removing rust, use Household Baking Soda [Arm & Hammer] mixed w/ water for Neutralizing the acid, then a clean water rinse & heat gun Dry.

When loosening rods, Soak ea. w/ penetrating oil [loosen-all, WD-40, Nuts-Off, etc] & take a BEER Break. # ea in a crisscross pattern w/ felt pen. Never loosen more than a 1/4 turn ea, do all & let it sit for awhile, longer @ 1st ENJOY the rest of 6 Pak. Next day loosen all 1/4 turn, start on another 6 Pak.
Take your time to release the Tension on the rods & ENJOY your BEER. Saving a cylinder from Breaking, will let you buy ALOT of Beer, better than spending ALOT of Beer money to Buy a Replacement cylinder.

J
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
J
I like your work method!!!

C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
Maybe I should have been drinking beer instead of coffee, sounds like it works better.

Norm Huff
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
DB great method LOL laugh

Wanted Owens Motor Oil & Mobiloil Gargoyle.
Brad Ralston & my website is
www.petrobarn.com
R
R
Paint thinner will work on the putty that was used on the old pumps. Just pour the thinner around the bottom of the cylinder and it will leach into the old putty and soften it. You may also have to scar the putty with a box cutter for deeper leaching into the putty. Remove all rods before you attempt to remove the cylinder make sure you chris cross the hold down nuts a little at a time to relieve the tension.

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
I'm great at drinking beer! Not so good with patience! My cylinder broke! I'm still bummed and haven't touched that pump since that day!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved