Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
strnge #217659 Wed Dec 08 2010 12:24 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
strnge, you won't find it in the pump book as Jack only used pumps that were used in the states.

Hopefully the guys from Down Under or Europe can help in ID'ing the Model #.

Top Swing arm for hose is typical of pumps used in other countries besides the Americas.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
norton16h #217662 Wed Dec 08 2010 12:34 AM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
e,
Supplying more pictures is fruitless.

What you have is a pump made by the Tokheim Tank & Pump Company of Ft. Wayne, Indiana, U.S. But your pump was probably made at their U.K. plant.
Compairing it with pumps here in the U.S. your pump appears to me to have been built in the late 1940s to the early 1950s. Many of the features of the pump were used on European pumps and not on pumps here in the U.S.
Your pump did not have a sight glass in or above the face, it has an outside sight glass between the pump and the hose. This is European.
This style of pump did not come with a globe, this does not mean that someone found a way to attach one, but if I were you, I would leave the pump as it is, and put that nice Shell globe on a shelf where it will be safe.
The nozzle is a very common OPW 811, which they sold 1000s of. I don't believe it was the original nozzle that was on the pump when it was delivered to its original location. It was a nozzle that was placed on the pump after (sometimes way after) the original nozzle wore out. New nozzles were only guaranteed for less that one year and they were replaced with anything that was handy.
The design of your pump seems to have some lines of the National Pump. National Pump was as company that was purchased by Tokheim and National was famous for their curved top pumps.
Also, I notice that your pump appears to be narrower than most U.S. pumps from the sasme era, again European.
One last thing, the computer is as four didget computer, this wasn't used here in the U.S. until after gasoline got over $.99 per gallon. No doubt your pump computed metric or liters.

My collection of gas pump literature contasins very little information about pumps that were made by U.S. companies for the European market.

So...my suggestions. Keep the pump as it is, from the pictures you have supplied, the paint job looks very nice. The colors are nice asnd the decals look good.

I don't feel that that was ever a globe on the pump, so just use the globe you go to start a globe collection. (Actually the globe appears to be as an American made globe. The Shell goobes masde for the European trade were slightly different.

The pump probable came with a nozzle that had the Tokheim nasme on it, not the OPW name. Original Tokheimn nozzle are available on Ebay and through collectors here on this website. I even have two availasble.

If you had a copy of my Gas Pump Identification book you will not find it in the book, but you will find pumps whose designs lend themselves to the design of your pump.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Wed Dec 08 2010 12:37 AM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Jack Sim #217679 Wed Dec 08 2010 04:01 AM
N
OP Offline
N
thanks so much for the information.
I now have a better idea of what i have.

Many thanks to all.

best regards
eric

norton16h #217680 Wed Dec 08 2010 04:03 AM
N
OP Offline
N
last but not least, anyone with a Tokheim nozzle for sale, please contact me.

thanks.

norton16h #217823 Wed Dec 08 2010 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is a European pump with wsing arm and globe.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
MATT ALVAREZ #217868 Wed Dec 08 2010 11:37 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Many of the European pumps that used a swing arm was offered for sale with or without a globe mount. That goes for Avery Hardolls (as in Matts pic), Gilbarcos, Beck Meters and others. Nortons globe itself looks exactly like the European SHELL globes (that in fact are still being made/reproduced today - they are made in the original molds IIUC).
Nortons pump also has the visi "bowl" at the end of the arm that is typical for pumps made in Britain or in the Commonwelth, compare with the AH in Matts picture. Can be seen on AHs and Beck Meters...

Pumps were made in Australia as well and they often didnt look the same as in US or even GB. I'm sure Tokheim had a factory down under, and IMO it would seem natural if such a factory was supplying the far east.

Would be great if any members from Australia or Britain could add some info on this.

Jm2c
Claes

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved