Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
Oh my God. It took me 2 hours to sandblast the wayne 60 base!! I need to get that blaster supercharged! So I was wondering. . . I could fill the pits in with bondo, or try to sand flat and paint it up with enough layers to make it smooth. Hmmm. . . decisions decisions.

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
D
D
chris, I used bondo on a bennett base. way easier and faster than multiple coats of primer and paint. good luck

just my two cents!
TRAVIS
L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
Thats a lot of bondo. VALSPAR make a product called sunfill. Its a very thick primer that fills like a lite bondo but it DOES NOT CHECK like bondo can. I would shot a couple of coats on it and call it filled. I used it on a pump a couple of years ago and it worked fine. Bondo will take a long time to and then it still bondo. If you do use some filler, (DONT USE BONDO) products, they suck. I dont use anything VALSPAR except this product, it work, I am a truse PPG man. Mostly whole Mopars.

Dave/LAWFISH.

------------------

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
i also had a tough wayne 60 base to blast. it started out blasting nice fast & clean. BUT then all of a sudden it wasnt cutting anything off then i remembered that the last time i blasted something i ran out of *Black Diamond* blast sand (coal) & there was silica sand in the bottom of the blaster. it wouldnt cut that cast iron clean for nothing!!! -------- sometimes i smooth out the bases, sometimes i leave the cast iron look. i like that cast look with a super shine on it! LOOKS OLD, LOOKS REAL! but if its pitted bad youve got to smooth it out!

C
OP Offline
C
Wow, thanks for the help guys! I may smooth it, but I'm kind of with tom on this one for right now. The base was probably the best part of the pump, for the shape that it was in.

LAWFISH, this may kill you to think about, but right now I have no access to a space to paint my pump the right way. My panels now are covered in Valspar rattlecan enamel. I really like the way that Valspar enamels (over other spray cans) finish up over the metal. They dry a lot quicker than Rustoleum and Krylon. I will check the primer out for sure, though. I've used bondo, and you're right, it's just the only filler out there that has a familiar name. Makes all other fillers seem like worthless efforts, but they aren't. I did use Bondo's finishing cream compound on my GB 96C's top and it did OK. I don't trust it to put the pump outside without blistering problems, though.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved