Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#236733 Sun Feb 27 2011 09:10 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
After seeing several posts depicting fabricated double pumps on this site in the last few days....is authenticity of rare pumps our next big concern, or is it already.

I would bet that a majority of those type pumps that are run through Barrett & Jackson are not authentic....but bring authentic prices! What happens when they change hands a few times? Some of these pumps that were made from real single pumps I would think would be hard to tell.

Jim

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Sometimes buyers are not completely aware of what they are buying at the big events you are right. It does make for some unhappy moments later down the line when either they find out or are told of this. The pump that you are referring to I believe has markings and a tag on it to show what it is. I was almost sold a pump that was misrepresented to me, but luckily I looked it over well and asked many a question before making my decision and finding out in fact it was a complete fabrication. Years later I stumbled upon this same pump and of course it was not marked and being sold as original. Buyer does need to have knowledge of what he or she is buying especially at the prices now. We have always went with original just because of the problems you have stated especially with porcelain signs now.
Good question though

Craig
Jim,
Having not missed a single Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale auction in 18 years and having particpated in the last 10 automobilia auctions as a buyer, I can safely tell you that all of their pumps are original pumps, not reproductions. Some of the pumps have better than original restorations (paint jobs, chroming, etc) or a southwest pump might have a globe added to it to enhance it's appearance, but I've never seen them run a reproduction pump, air meter or anything else. I personally know Rory and he does an exceptional job of handling the auction. In fact the sign auction was probably the best offering of original auto-dealership signs to cross an auction block anywhere in the last ten years which is why Kyle Moore, Bob Knudsen, Art Redford, Roy Reed, Ron Pratte and abunch of the other big, long-time collectors were there bidding up a storm. I guess they sold 600 lots for well over $1 Million. Not too shabby.

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Originally Posted By: oiljobber
Jim,
Having not missed a single Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale auction in 18 years and having particpated in the last 10 automobilia auctions as a buyer, I can safely tell you that all of their pumps are original pumps, not reproductions.

So the Wayne 800 double showcase pumps I've seen pictures of at BJ are real????

Always looking for SKELLY items.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
They are in vendors booths not in the auction itself.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jim,
Having not missed a single Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale auction in 18 years and having particpated in the last 10 automobilia auctions as a buyer, I can safely tell you that all of their pumps are original pumps, not reproductions.

They are in vendors booths not in the auction itself

Craig...you are right

RANDY
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I was not actually referring to the Barrett and Jackson auctions themselves...just thinking about all those exotic pumps and impossible amount of neon signs I saw in the pictures of the vendor area.

Also it wasn't actually DB's pump that prompted this post. It was this post. http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=236501&gonew=1#UNREAD

Fake double 60 that a member says he made out of two pumps and was sold at Barrett Jackson in 2005. Has the pedigree been lost in the last years of it's travels?

I am not accusing anyone of anything...just trying to make a point of what I see is a potential problem involving a lot of $$$ right now or down the line.

Jim

Last edited by Mr.Wadhams; Sun Feb 27 2011 03:29 PM. Reason: clarified

Jim,

I know the pump you're talking about. Actually there was a guy who use to be a vendor at Barrett-Jackson who sold those pumps, as well as air meters, oil bottle island racks, etc...everything in his booth was new but he never marked it as such. He never claimed new, nor old....but he priced them about halfway between reproduction and original. Needless to say he's no longer there. I think they ran him out. But no, I've never seen any of that stuff in the auction.

O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
If it ain't real it aint right. Why would a museum want anything but the real thing ? Just more nicely done fantasy items. Might be the wrong thread,but most of you know where I'm at. ;;;;;;;;;;Ron

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
It's on display, Museum doesn't own it.
WHY did UNION OIL cut down the Visible that they OWN?

_762.JPG
Last edited by Dick Bennett; Sun Feb 27 2011 06:36 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: oillease55
If it ain't real it aint right. Why would a museum want anything but the real thing ? Just more nicely done fantasy items. Might be the wrong thread,but most of you know where I'm at. ;;;;;;;;;;Ron

So your SAYING cars that were Modified/Re-built for; Daytona, Bonneville, Drag, Custom, Hot Rods Don't belong in Museums because Car Manufactures didn't build them that way?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett

So your SAYING cars that were Modified/Re-built for; Daytona, Bonneville, Drag, Custom, Hot Rods Don't belong in Museums because Car Manufactures didn't build them that way?

I am pretty sure about every Automobile in the Petersen and NHRA museum have been Modified/Customized in one way or another and I am sure they are not marked "Modified/Customized".

Dick, the Pumps Look Great and Definately deserve to be in a Museum for all to enjoy.

Last edited by Esse's Garage; Sun Feb 27 2011 07:48 PM.

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Those cars are a part of history and deserve to be in a museum. If I build a clone of a Don garits swamp rat or a 60's Petty plymouth in 2011 does it deserve to be in a museum ? Maybe I am wrong. If a museum wants to display a car or pump to show a part of history and there are only one or limited originals available I guess a copy would be acceptable. Hell I just answered my own question. The pump looks great DB. My apologies ;;;;;;Ron

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Maybe I am wrong. If a museum wants to display a car or pump to show a part of history and there are only one or limited originals available I guess a copy would be acceptable. Hell I just answered my own question. The pump looks great DB. My apologies ;;;;;;Ron

??????What changed your tune so drastically? You were right in your first post....this pump is a fantasy, made up pump that NEVER was actually made. It crossed my mind also...why is it being put in a museum. Dick even says how he layed it out on Photoshop in one of his posts,and had it built. How it turned out jut like HE invisioned.

I'm not trying to take away from beauty or great craftsmanship of the pump...it's a great piece....but we should not be afraid to say what it is out loud. I don't see a problem with that....should I?

Jim

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Last edited by Oldgas; Thu Mar 03 2011 09:10 PM.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved