Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#20137 Sun Sep 14 2008 07:25 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Seeing the Texaco discussion made me wonder when visible pumps were banned in cities/commercial use. I'm especially interested in Illinois or Wisconsin.
Also, several months ago someone alluded to sight glass bearing pumps also being considered a fire hazard. Were they ever outlawed?
I remember Standard pumps with sight glasses (with dancing "marbles") near the hose on pumps from the early 1960s. (Illinois)
Hope to hear from you all!

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#20138 Sun Sep 14 2008 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think a lot of that depended on what state you are in..... And the fire marshall.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
#20139 Mon Sep 15 2008 05:24 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply. I couldn't think who would have regulated pumping equipment. I wondered if the regs might be more localized than statewide, or if there could have been anything like the standardized electrical NEC codes or UL codes covering this.
I've had sort of a morbid interest in gas station fires since I was a kid, and a local Standard station burned down. Then, on a trip to Canada, we were nearly exploded while checking into a motel next to a Sunoco station that went BOOM!
The latter wasn't pump related, but I've wondered how many of these old designs failed in use.

#20140 Mon Sep 15 2008 12:53 PM
C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
I think there's a station somewhere in California that still uses visibles, but it's more for the novelty factor than necessity. I've heard rumors that there are still some visibles in use in remote parts of Alaska and California. No idea if that's true or just wishful thinking, but it would be cool if it's true!

#20141 Mon Sep 15 2008 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
My mother lives in Namibia Africa,
They are still using "blind" or curb pumps there in some places. I know of a couple of visible pumps here and in Alabama that are still being used on private property.

In the US the pumps are regulated by the State Dept. Of Agriculture.....Weights and Measures Division
They would also have to pass fire code.
You might be able to find some info about pumps by looking up state/local fire code.

At one time Amoco was using a clear top poppet nut on the nozzle so you could see the gas...there were little orange or red balls inside

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
#20142 Tue Sep 16 2008 04:13 AM
The Shoup Store, Shoup, Idaho is still using visibles in retail gas sales. Click on the picture.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved