Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
did my homework & I'm 90% sure this is an original....Has rolled edges & a green back.....the repo i have seen has no rolled edge & has a white background, however maybe there is an older repo??.....does anybody have one or seen one?? well in any case i am sure its an original and its not a repo price...lol...any body know a good value??? Thanks in advance .....DT

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
Cool sign

Mike
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What does the UP/Down on the sign mean & did it come that way or was that added?

RANDY
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
the up, down & the verticle center line were added at a later date i believe...

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Up on rack-shop hour rate starts/ Down off rack bike completed

To help shop manager figure labor cost. JUST A GUESS

Value won't guess on that one. Harley items seem to soar to all time highs on ebay.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
M
M
This is 100% repop. I seen a guy over in Ohio, I think he may have once owned a company called AAA Sign or something like that. Several of these showed up at the Rogers Flea market a few months ago. They were aged to make you think they were the real deal. I am sure you will find more at Brimfield next month.

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
There You Go, Value 12 bucks - ebay no telling- this is why I not a sign guy.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Madison Oil
This is 100% repop. I seen a guy over in Ohio, I think he may have once owned a company called AAA Sign or something like that. Several of these showed up at the Rogers Flea market a few months ago. They were aged to make you think they were the real deal. I am sure you will find more at Brimfield next month.

are you sure they are the same?? did his have a green back?? how about rolled edges?? There are repos out there & i think you may have them confused .....

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
The back sure makes it look like a fake. I am by no means an expert, plus the looks of the different scripts and layout on the front. Hate to tell you, but it sure looks fake.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: D Phillips
The back sure makes it look like a fake. I am by no means an expert, plus the looks of the different scripts and layout on the front. Hate to tell you, but it sure looks fake.

I have quite a few dated and real signs that have rolled edges and a green back..as far as different fonts and the layouts ALOT/MOST of real signs have different "layouts" and fonts on the same sign. most all repop tin/painted metal signs have that. Just about all repop's have white backs and very few will have a rolled edge...without holding it my hands I would have to say its real. Darryl, you have been in this biz for at least 20 years and you find some killer stuff. Give me a call..you have my number. will I see you at Pate in a couple of weeks?

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
M
M
Same sign. Just go to Brimfield next month and you will see more than one with green back and rolled edges. They will not be 12 bucks, but $35 will get you one unless it has traded hands a few times before it is offered to you.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
shucks....there were alot of orginals(not this sign) that were not dated...sad to hear that..I guess now if its not dated it ain't real...but again a date may mean nothing now...T-53 etc....
this is gettin really bad for the hobby.

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: texaspelican
Just about all repop's have white backs and very few will have a rolled edge...

It seems all the repos I come across have green backs and rolled edges...

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Madison Oil
Same sign. Just go to Brimfield next month and you will see more than one with green back and rolled edges. They will not be 12 bucks, but $35 will get you one unless it has traded hands a few times before it is offered to you.

are you kidding me?? The repos are $75-$100, brand new, white back & no rolled edge...your saying that this person who apparently will be at Brimfield with some of these green back & rolled edge ones ??..They are artifically aged, then painted for more effect with the line & words, up----down...and they are only $35?? wow somebody is really losing money.......

i aggree with you Paddy, the green backs are the right ones on chalkboards ........even most of the others like Coca Cola, Pepsi & all the others who had chalkboards made had this had green backs & rolled edges...

Last edited by roadrelics; Mon Apr 18 2011 08:56 PM.
M
M
Next post will read: "OH MY GOD DID I BUY A REPOP?"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved