Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: roadrelics

i aggree with you Paddy, the green backs are the right ones.......even Coca Cola, Pepsi & all the others who had chalkboards made like this had green backs & rolled edges...

Is this for everything? or just chalkboard signs? I have a Remington sign out in the garage, green back rolled edges, its a repo.

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Is there a real one??? Is this just a made up item??? I'm not too keen on Harley stuff, but I have never seen I real one in real life or a picture.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Ha, Have not bought it yet, but after reading your posts, think i'll buy for sure now...

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
The old tin coke signs/chalk boards etc. all had the green backs. And I always thought that you could go by the the machine marks on these green backs. They all seemed to have a distinctive pattern which sort of looked like tracks on the back. Is that process and look being repopped as well?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Madison Oil
This is 100% repop. I seen a guy over in Ohio, I think he may have once owned a company called AAA Sign or something like that. Several of these showed up at the Rogers Flea market a few months ago. They were aged to make you think they were the real deal. I am sure you will find more at Brimfield next month.

maybe these are orginals and knowing/not knowing it, aged them thinking they would sell better. AAA sign company years ago did make signs for many companies are were the real deals. I pulled out some signs that I have had in boxes for many years. Alot of country store signs that I have pulled out myself from closed stores that have rolled edges and green backs. Some were dated as far back as 1956 and some were not dated and I know they are 100% orginal.

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Same sign. Just go to Brimfield next month and you will see more than one with green back and rolled edges. They will not be 12 bucks, but $35 will get you one unless it has traded hands a few times before it is offered to you.

just to let people know, i just returned from Brimfield & did not see one H-D chalkboard so the statement made above by madison oil is not accurate.....and yes i did buy the one thats was for sale.....

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
So I take it you feel thats it's org.? Spoke to dealer who has been in business for every here, allthough he didn't remember the sign, he said it was common to use chalk boards in shop area,prior to everyone springing for stamp clocks and electronic produced tickets.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I'm very sure its right & have talked to people who would know...as a matter of fact they want it.

M
M
I'm very sure its right & have talked to people who would know...as a matter of fact they want it.

Sell it now before they figure it out.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

why would i believe this,when nothing else you have said yet has been true ?? or do you have more information ??

Last edited by roadrelics; Fri May 13 2011 07:40 PM.
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
FWIW, I just saw a 1930s Coke one at auction and the back was a dirty black on it? Isnt their a museum or archive for Harley items somewhere you can call?

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Glad you got it. Madison Oil still doesn't seem to agree. There is a museum that might date it. www.h-dmuseum.com, will get you there.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks for the info.....one of the guys who wants it is my friend & he was also at Brimfield & guess what, there were no $35 repos... he has sold the H-D museum & Wille many pieces in past years......who would you believe??? there's something else going on here....

i still don't know 100% if it's real or not, but i know what does not make any sense.. a buddy of mine paid $85 for a cheap aluminum one with a white background & i don't beleieve for a second that any con man would take a tin one, roll the edges, put that quality of screening on it, bend it, paint it, put extra holes in it, then age it & sell for $35, unless he was trying to loose money...LOL

I believe the coca cola one from the 40's or 50's had this green background also & & if any body could confirm this i would sure appreciate it.....This chalkboard must be rare as nobody has seen it ??

Last edited by roadrelics; Sat May 14 2011 12:52 PM.
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Well I guess you dont believe me about the back being black?

The sign doesnt have a trademark reg mark that I see plus the can looks very unfocused to me. Why would Harley allow someone to make this is beyond me. Also why isnt the letters or can embossed like other menu signs?

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
you said it was a 1930's coke menu board with a black back....do you understand were talking about a 1940's or 50's chalkboard here?? & no no all coke menu boards were embossed & yes i remember some having a green back..... are you telling me that all the coke menu boards had black backs ??? if so, no i don't believe you,,,,I'll take a better, clearer picture for you when i get it in my hands....

Last edited by roadrelics; Sat May 14 2011 11:58 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved