Next Thread
Print Thread
#249642 Fri Apr 22 2011 07:20 AM
N
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
N
I grew up in Galena IL, so have always collected all things "Galena". Love the Super Galena Signs I have bought thru the years, but I haven't bought (or seen one) for sale for years. I am working on a possible trade for a gas pump or two, and one of more of these signs might be included in the deal. Can anyone give me an approximate current market value of them? The tall skinny one's are 12" wide, 5 ft tall. The rectangle sign is 14 1/2" tall by 28 1/2" wide. All are in far above average condition, not without small blemishes, but at least an 8 out of 10. Thanks for your help!

galenasigns.JPG
Super Galena Motor Oil Signs

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Darn, Mark....I wish I knew signs better to toss out some numbers for you. I do recall one of the horizontal Galena Motor Oil signs like yours sold for around $350 at a gas/oil auction a couple of years back. It was in about #8 condition. Yours might be in better shape than that.

Congrats on your clean, clean garage!! Best, John

Last edited by Jolly-John; Fri Apr 22 2011 08:58 AM.
N
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
N
Hi John...Thank you for your reply, gives us a starting point because honestly I have't paid attention at all to what has been selling far as the signs.

Whole shop not always clean like that---that must have been a good day when I took that picture!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Mark, I know this has absolutely nothing to do with your question but I couldn't resist commenting on your tractors. Absolutely LOVE 'EM! Is the one in the back a Farmall Cub? Hope to own one someday.

........Dave
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...nice signs, no accurate idea of what they'd bring, but I had to say that I'm kinda surprised you'd part with them...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!
...nice signs, no accurate idea of what they'd bring, but I had to say that I'm kinda surprised you'd part with them...

He is trying to get them in a deal, not part with them...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: D Phillips
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!

He is trying to get them in a deal, not part with them...

Sounds to me like he's willing to part with them for a couple gas pumps in a trade....no?

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
"Love the Super Galena Signs I have bought thru the years, but I haven't bought (or seen one) for sale for years. I am working on a possible trade for a gas pump or two, and one of more of these signs might be included in the deal."

...sounds to me like he has the signs, and is considering adding one/more of them to HIS offer in the trade...my only point was that if he has a personal connection to them - AND they are hard to find (and appear to be in great condition), I'd part with something a little easier to replace, should you get 'seller's remorse'...to judge by the photo, looks like he has good taste and probably doesn't need my advice, but if they were mine and from North Carolina, the pump(s) would have to be pretty special...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
N
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
N
Hey guys, Thanks so much for all the replies, and I'm sure sorry it took so long to respond! I was introduced to the oldgas site just a few weeks ago, and I can literally log on at night and spend hours and hours looking and learning! I clearly didn't pay enough attention to the post I made. I'm still simply amazed, I knew all things petroleum related were collectible, I even picked up several pumps over the years myself, but sold them in the past couple years. One neat one even went to a gentleman who is here on oldgas. Sure is a small world. I got to missing the gas pumps I had though, which led me to look for a few pumps to replace the old one's I sold, & I found all you guys.

I asked the value question for a few reasons. Honestly, when I buy something, I buy it because I love this old stuff, so I buy what I like, and sometimes don't watch quite so close if I am paying too little or too much. But...I do know a gentleman in a town near me who has a pretty interesting pump, and he expressed interest in at least one of my Galena signs. If I was to do some type of trade with him, I really do want it to be a fair deal. That was my main reason for asking. Second was I've been doing my own "insurance audit" on the toys I've collected and want to be sure to have proper insurance on everything in the garage.

lordparafinn...I've sure enjoyed the Farmall Cubs also...have had several in the past. Great tractors to own and still be able to use because IH made so many. That tractor in the picture though is actually a Farmall 100...the tractor next to it is a Cockshutt 20. Past 30 years I have brought home alot of old tractors, now down to just 6 of my favorites though, going to pursue some other things including gas pumps. Hope it's ok to put this here, I will edit the post and remove it if not ok, but my website is www.highridgetractorparts.com for a few other neat tractors I brought home thru the years. For all that's on my site, I've only owned a digital camera the past 8-10 years. Sure wish I'd of had one 30 years ago when more of the interesting finds showed up!

gulfriend...you mentioned you were surprised I'd part with them. I actually used to think that also, I never used to part with anything...but after selling alot of older tractors I had fixed up over the years, it became easier. There's so, so much to collect and enjoy, but for every piece that leaves, there is always something neat to replace it! I've collected old tractors, implements, pedal cars and pedal tractors, antiques, old general store stuff, literature, antique and contemporary marbles and many many other things. But even with all I've collected, I accidentally stumbled on my first coin op show in St Charles IL a few weeks ago, and just after a quick walk through of that, I had absolutely no idea on how much more was out there. Still, I am enjoying things more now that I don't have so much to worry about & take care of. Before I bring Something home, usually something has to go first...in an odd sort of way, that makes me appreciate the stuff more.

Thanks again guys for answering my post, very much appreciated!

Mark

Last edited by neatoldstuff; Tue May 10 2011 07:07 AM.

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved