Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#250220 Sun Apr 24 2011 02:17 AM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
An old general store nearby sold kerosene, dispensed through a bowser pump that was mounted in the center of the store (the tank was in the basement 200 gals.) You dial in how many quarts, and the stroke travels accordingly, delivering the measured amount. I cannot find one just like it. I am going to shorten the pipes and mount the piston right below the mechanism, to resemble another model bowser made (It will look a little neater and easier to display) I would like to find a base plate like the model in the last pic (Long distance pump) if anyone has one or similar for sale. Thanks

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Barn Raider, Not trying to tell you what to do, but why not leave it like it is? How many collectors have one of those? I know I don't, and would love to find one. Check out this old photo from a Bowser pump book. It shows the "big wigs" sitting around a table, with displays around them. Look at the display on the column in the background. That's certainly similar to your pump, and a cool display idea. Best of luck, and let us see what you end up doing with it.
Don

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have one similar to one in picture. Still in as found paint [green over black] & have the lower pump unit in a shed.

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Don: I think you have a point there - and seeing that pump mounted on the wall is a good display idea, never crossed my mind - probably that is what I will do. Thanks for taking the time to dig up that pic - I am glad to see it.

Dick: You do have the exact same pump in red, but it actually beside the green one you speak of. When you took the lower unit off did you just cut the pipes? I see some really cool scale model oil wells in your pic too. Thanks for that.

Last edited by barn_raider; Sun Apr 24 2011 11:05 AM.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Had another look at it - the piston cylinder is brass - definitely keeping this in one piece. Just figured out there are 3 catch settings on a rod to make the measures in pints, quarts or gallons. Complicated yet simple.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Each pump in picture is a different model.
Lower pump was threaded on to be able to use different length of nipples.

I still regret selling some of my Early Bowser pumps, but didn't/don't have a place to display them [even the museum is running out of display room, most of building has 20' high of an old wooden derrick]. Ones I miss most are the Bowser #1 & wood covered 5gal that sat on a counter.

Years ago I spent too much time looking for stuff instead of working towards a retirement! Now I'm selling my Prizes.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dick, that picture of dem "Prizes " as you refer to is too dammn KWELL!!!!!!! Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Cleaned up. Would anyone have a good unbroken base for sale? like the one in the picture.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
With that one being fixed, "Back in the Day", I'd leave it like it is...

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Is there a threaded hole right above the Bowser plate on the top flat frame...i guess would be directly to right of the measuring piston that goes up...mm

Wanted early tin litho signage.
petro, farm, auto, etc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
barn_raider,
My Green pump & the one in BOWSER picture are the same, except for water/debris trap. I'll try to remember to go to museum Wed. & get pictures of base of one to left of green pump.

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Tue Apr 26 2011 05:18 PM.
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks Mr Bennett.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Stopped by museum to get pictures & was asked to replace a few bulbs [16' ceilings]. Sure glad they could only find 12 replacement bulbs for the track lighting! SURE hope these pic's are worth it, to you!
12' Ladder work is Rough when ya haven't done it for a couple of months.

Float in tank was similar in size to a 5qt can dia. & approx. 2" tall w/ a rod affixed & connected to the sq brass ring on gauge pole.

Store Kerosene pump base.jpg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dick,
Great photos and info once again!!
This site would not be the same without you!
Keep up the great work!
Rob

Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Thanks for the excellent photos. I sure would have given you a hand replacing those bulbs with that 12' ladder!

It is nice to see the base plate like it should be. However, my model does not have provisions for the float stick (even the threaded hole another member spoke of - I guess for the wood guage setup) Cool, 5 stars.

Last edited by barn_raider; Thu Apr 28 2011 02:27 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved