Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#253024 Sat May 07 2011 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
i plucked this porcelain thermometer from ebay about 2 weeks ago. the seller advertised it as having a curve to it. so i am not dissapointed. anyway, has anyone ever had any luck taking a warped sign and making it straight again. the face of the thermometer is mint and i am afraid to screw it tight to the wall as the porcelain may chip away. i thought about putting it in the oven on high with some pressure on the sign??? think this might work??

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
I have some signs with curves. I would think if I tried to bend it the porcelain may crack or chip. I would be interested if anyone has a successful method without causing any damage.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
The mobilgas shield i had was warped horribly. So we put it across the opening of our basement door and stepped on it and it straightened out perfect with no chips. I don't recommend doing that to this thermometer though lol

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
What you could do is heat it up in the oven and then clamp it to flat surface and then put it back into the oven for awhile and then take it out and let it cool in still air before unclamping.

Might work?

Randy

Always looking for Hy-Flash Gas/Miller Oil, Hi-Speed Gas/ Hickok Oil and Paragon Refining items from Toledo,Ohio.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I understand that the metal and porcelain win expand and contract at different rates and a household oven will not provide the temps nessacary to melt the metal or porcelain. I talked to restoration guy a couple years ago about some techniques. He told me he used a bottle jack and a 4x4 piece of wood jammed under a beam in his garage. He said it would take a month, just a little bit at a time?? I am worried about the cookie cutter edge on the thermometer!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
are there holes around it so you can screw it to a piece of plywood? I have taken a sled sign and gradually screwed it to a piece of wood a little at a time until straight.

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I should think flexing any thermometer in an opposite direction to fix the bend would break the glass tube. Same with putting it in an oven...they are fragile and I wouldn't recommend it.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
please remember the metal is streached if u want to unbend u should releave by cutting edge by cracks with saw saw mybe die grinder it may flaten out without u bending it is this high dallor piece?

essco #253114 Sat May 07 2011 11:27 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I would put the thermometer on the wall (or board), hold/press on it in the middle to let it have the banana shape - then sink screws in the holes but only to the point of contact with the thermometer (don't screw the thermometer flush at either end). Looks like you would be about an inch or less from flush on each end. Gradually, equally tighten the screws over time maybe a turn or two ever other day. I would put a stack of wide fiber or leather washers under a wide steel washer at each screw in order to prevent stress chips at the holes. I would remove the glass thermometer from the body before doing anything - most seem to come out via tiny wires or clips, or are set in a wood block that is glued, screwed or wired to the tin.

Good luck.

Last edited by barn_raider; Sat May 07 2011 11:28 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I might be stepping on my *&*& here, but I'm going to say it anyhow. If members here continue to snip at each other and acknowledge what one person might feel is a slam with a slam right back and/or chastise and correct other adults, then this forum will eventually go straight to hell. I may be one of the least active and vocal members here, but I do NOT want to see this happen. I thoroughly enjoy my few minutes each day I spend here. And that's all I'm saying about the subject.

Last edited by Oldgas; Sun May 08 2011 07:27 PM. Reason: Use the "Notify" button to report a troublesome post
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
I would, take therm tube out, take 2 2x6s, lay one on the floor and lay therm on it, lay a rag on therm face, lay other 2 x 6 on top of therm, put a screw in top and bottom, from top board to bottom board, tighten a tad more every day. Sounds like it should work.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Amen to that

Remember you are only as good as your help
If you don't make any noise no one will hear you!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Since metal and porcelain do not "creep" like plastic or rubber, I don't se a benefit to doing this slowly over multiple days. Also, heating it in the oven will not help much, as the benefit you're looking for would only come from heating above the recrystalization temperature of the steel, which it's unlikely your oven can achieve. The only way I know of to straighten the sign is to bend it further than flat, causing yielding, and then let it spring back to (near) flat. Because that involves bending it further than just flat, it might be safer to just screw it to the wall or mount it to a frame to hold it flat.

Wes

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
When I tried to flatten a warp all it did was chip the sign, sometimes better to leave it as is or risk losing more porcelain especially if the porcelain is all there with no chips it would ruin a great sign.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved