Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
What’s sad about it? It was clearly made to show it was a reproduction. I'm new as they come to Petroleum collectibles and I could see it was a repop. I'm a huge fan of that style, If someone cant afford to lay out $10K or more for an original, what's wrong with getting a repop. I don’t think any one will ever confuse that with the real thing.
Same as a repop sign, you want to display one and cant afford an original you buy a repop and enjoy it.

Looking for anything JENNEY OIL OR GAS
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
In looking at the listing, it is listed honestly as a reproduction piece. I have no idea what you guys are getting upset about? If you don't like it fine but you should not be offended. Old saying.....If you can't say anything good......then say nothing....That is the case here.....in my opinion. Personally, I applaud a listing on Ebay that is truthful. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Originally Posted By: LC 336
It was clearly made to show it was a reproduction. I'm new as they come to Petroleum collectibles and I could see it was a repop.

??? Boy....I've looked at the pictures and it sure looks dead on, same as original to me. Other than the unpainted aluminum that will look exactly like the original cast iron once painted. What is so blatantly -- at a glance repo with this pump? If those obvious poorly done signs on Ebay fool people every day....why can't this carefully crafted replica pump?

Jim

Last edited by Mr.Wadhams; Mon Jun 13 2011 03:39 PM. Reason: spelling!

Wanted: Wadhams - Bartles - O'neils - Items
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Before anyone calls this pump "****" lets see them make something of this quality before they open their mouths. Seems every one in this hobby wants a "safety net" so they don't get ripped off ..... Just a hunch but I'm sure the seller and old gas member has quite alot of time and $ invested in the planning and fabricating of this piece.
Experience is the only saftey net there is...

And when you think about it if this was ever passed off as an original which would sell for 10-15K I would surely think the advanced collector who would lay out that kind of cash could tell in a heartbeat real from repop....
If they don't.... well they are just some rich person with too much money anyways.

Also a magnet would tell the tail on repop bases and housings....

Lastly~ Nicely done Mattthegasman

2 Cents worth from the Garage-a-gogo

Last edited by Garage-A-GoGo; Mon Jun 13 2011 03:56 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Garage-a-gogo "PERFECT"

Mattthegasman First of all, that's one cool pump!!!!
If I had your talent, I would have one in my back yard.

When I said "I don’t think anyone will ever confuse that with the real thing".
I was *NOT* refering to the quality of the build, by no means!

To me that pump is a work of art, once again great job.

Looking for anything JENNEY OIL OR GAS
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice pump, But all the same things were said about re-pop signs and globes years ago. THEY ARE A PROBLEM NOW AND IT WILL ONLY GET WORSE IN THE FUTURE, As collectors we should be preserving originals and protecting our collections, not making more ***** that will further ruin this hobby for years to come.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
R
R
Garage-a-gogo... I couldn't say it better myself.

C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Well now we have three more repros of the Bennett double available on ebay. WHY WOULD I CARE? I am doing a original right now with another in the works for a customer. Lets just devalue more of the things we collect so that people will just question values we put on originals. None working pumps? who cares, we do not pump gas with the old ones now !
I do not care if anyone agrees with me on this, for I have seen what repros do to many other big neon signs, old double headed display pumps as Dick has refered to, and globes.
Yes, its aluminum, but a big collector here got one of the repro pump and didn't know till alot later because it was restored.
We are not all as good as some of the old gas guys on here at spotting fakes.

Craig
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well said Craig, A couple repro parts to finish a pump is one thing. To reproduce an entire pump is all about the Money and NOTHING to do with being a true collector and preserving collectibles. It is just another Jab into the heart of the Gas and Oil hobby

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm just hurt he didn't put my working "fake" clocks in it....WAH

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
V
vmc44 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
V
Hello old gassers.... Ok my apologies to the guy that made this pump as I did not mean to say the pump was a piece of garbage its not! It is a nice piece of work.... What I meant to say if guys are going to start reproducing old pumps it is going to be sad for the hobby? My opinion is this is a hobby not a business except for the guys making pump parts for a restoration.....and yes I have some very rare pumps...... thanks Dan

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There are not as many Repo pumps as there are Dummy Clock Face Conversions W/O the clock mech. [Wayne 60 to 866, Tok 36B to 36B-DP, etc] & most are Obvious by not changing to the correct reset knob & placement of such [the 36B-DP reset is NOT the same as a VR pump!].
Several Large collections have at least 1 IF not several Dummy Clock Face pumps.
When these Dummy pumps are sold the auctioneer ain't gonna say [if he knows] it's a FANTASY PUMP.

Might be interesting [& Surprising] to know how many Clock Conversions that the vendors have sold!

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Sat Jun 18 2011 07:08 PM.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Good point, but they are not a totally remade pump. Lets just say that someone will reproduce the entire roman pump in which was done years ago by Bob Bardwell and then sold complete on ebay or where ever. You think that this would make all the people who prize there Romans happy? How about the guy or who ever just paid alot of money for the Texaco sign that was just put on here, how happy he would be if someone just made up about 10 or so and started selling them unmarked. In my opinion just a mistake this time around.
Like the pedal car hobby, look what happened to them in the last 8 years.
We collect and move up with things to enjoy and hope that our investment does not go down.

Craig
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
They remake the Tokheim 850 and it didn't hurt the value one bit, same with the 36B, Wayne 615, Wayne 800 and other pumps. If Andy at Gas Pump Heaven would of made this pump it wouldn't even be brought up here.

It's not going to hurt the twin Bennett's at all......

It's the wave of the future, you don't have to like it but more and more pumps are going to be reproduced and guess what, there NOT going to ask your permission!

BL

Always looking for SKELLY items.
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Great attitude !! Would not like it if they were reproduced and if you had some originals you would not like it either. When asking about how many people are coming into the hobby and how many collectors are out there, its great to know that my likes and investments will not maybe be there in the future.
Lets just reproduce it all so that some of us can just move along to other things to collect.
Globes, lenses, porcelain, look to see what new collectors are saying and how they shy away because of not knowing. The pumps you mentioned are not exactly like the originals in some respects, this pump is.
To be more honest, I was asked to let this collector use my parts for the reproduction and I just didn't do it for the reason that I have stated so many times. I thought that he wanted JUST ONE for himself. Guess I was wrong. Let me say further that I like The person who has done this and had dealings with him and he has helped me alot.
I just believe that this was an error.

Craig
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved