Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#260099 Thu Jun 23 2011 09:05 PM
B
beem Offline OP
OP Offline
B
I have a sign like the one pictured, though mine has not been restored. I have been told that this is a desireable sign and very rare. Does the value of the sign increase, decrease or stay the same if restored, where do I go to find out the value? Thanks for any help

StellareneAfter_jpg_w300h293.jpg
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Personally, I wouldn't buy a restored sign. Therefore, for me, restoring it would take the value to zero. There are people on both sides of the debate, but that's just my two cents. Let's see a picture of YOUR sign.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Me too! If its been restored, thats like saying that the condition was so bad that noone would want it, so we had to make it recognizeable. The value has gone to zero and is only worth what you can talk someone into paying for it!
Get us a picture of your sign and we might be able to help on value!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
If the sign is double sided a lot of people who have signs restored restore one side and leave the other side original. I personally would never buy a restored sign but if your going to keep the sign and you like it you should do what you want with it. FYI I have been told getting a sign restored by someone who's good cost's a chunk of change.

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Most people that is willing to spend big bucks for signs,seek NOS signs or close to it. If your going to sell sign I would sell as is. If it is a keeper with no interest in resell, then do what you want,its yours and enjoy restored.
Restroration can get pretty pricey, I got a price on 14in. pennant tanker doomed sign four color sign 450.00. There is a lot of detail on your sign, which could shoot price up also. Values I wouldn't bank on any thing I tell you, so I'll skip that. Post a pic and I'm sure someone can be of help.

Last edited by Loyd Pierce; Sat Jun 25 2011 06:32 PM.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
It's only original once......Don't restore it.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
IF you want it to look New, have someone/sign maker make a New one.
Most restored signs Don't sell for more than the cost of restoration.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Yes,there are two sides to this discussion.I'm not a big fan of total restorations,I'll just look for a better one or something else,but I have no problem with a well done bondo/color match/clear touch-up on some signs.Restoration or touch-up?I guess it depends on the extent of the work and one's opinions regarding touch-ups in general.

I've got one,a Texaco Marine White pump plate,that I think of as a really good touch-up while others call it a restoration.I don't know,I just know I'm happy with it because it displays well next to all the other high grade signs around it.That's why I did it.

As to value,I don't know.I've heard all kinds of opinions over the years ranging from those expressed above to "not too much" to all points in between.AS we say,to each his own.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Old Iron
Yes,there are two sides to this discussion.I'm not a big fan of total restorations,I'll just look for a better one or something else,but I have no problem with a well done bondo/color match/clear touch-up on some signs.Restoration or touch-up?I guess it depends on the extent of the work and one's opinions regarding touch-ups in general.

Most of the "professional" restorations I've seen look like complete re-paints. If you compare the existing lettering/graphics to what is present in the finished product, a lot of them look completely different. At that point, you might as well have a reproduction.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I didn't mean to imply that I was disagreeing with everyone about total repaint restorations.I don't and won't own one.

I was just pointing out that some,myself included,will do some touch-up on a SMALL SCALE (maybe 10%-15% of the marine white plat was involved with no work on the ships wheel)on a sign that we plan to keep.My intent was to give him an option to consider.

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved