#260795 Wed Jun 29 2011 05:13 AM
J
JW32 Offline OP
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
Hello Everyone,

I am thinking of trying to get a Gas & Oil show in Bloomington, Il. would like some feedback to who may be interested in setting up ?. I would like to keep the vendor spaces at a reasonable rate & offer both indoor & outdoor spaces, with most spaces being outdoor. There would be a small addmission fee to the public with chilren under the age of 12 free, I would try to have some food vendors there also. There would be plenty of motel's & resturants in the area. This area would not be shaded so I would like to have it in the sping of 2012 if it all comes together. I want to say this is not set in stone, but would love to see it happen, please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks, Jerry

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Jerry sounds like you allready have site picked out. this is big step. Need to make committment early and get flyers out to other shows. I wouldn't expect great turnout 1st year but you could do ok if you do the foot work. Would not go into to it as a get rich , but for the growth of hobby.
I've thought about this for Nashville Tn. at state fairgrounds. We have a Mayor that wants to do away with Fairgrounds. So wouldn't be smart to get going then ,he get his way.Got a deal to use racetrack through 2012,with restrictions which makes it hard, to get committment from racers. Good luck . Anything is possable with committment,and right person to help promote your desire.
I have same concerns would everyone travel to tn ,as we allready have Dixie. First step here is get rid of MAYOR.

Last edited by Loyd Pierce; Wed Jun 29 2011 07:37 AM.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jerry:

Bloomington is certainly 'do-able' for us. It all depends on when in the Spring you hold the event.

We are a bit North of you and Winter hangs on longer. With the Spring rains, there is always a question of whether or not we can ge the trailer out if the show was held too early.

Charging admission for spectators is not done anywhere that I know of. At least not at any of the events we attend.

You have to have a totally fenced in area for the show to pull it off - and it takes more man-power to take the cash and direct people to parking.

Keep us posted.

Later . . .

Jim

P.S. I can whip you up a really nice flyer if you send me your information. No Charge.

The Peotone, Il and Columbia, MO swap meets charge the public buyers for admission as well as an early buyer admission. But it might be easier to start out with free just to get good buyer traffic established.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Quote:
First step here is get rid of MAYOR.

I AGREE!

Brandon Ferguson
Central City, KY
Farm Related Advertising
V
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
V
Originally Posted By: bwfergie
Quote:
First step here is get rid of MAYOR.

I AGREE!

ditto!

K
K
I'm close to Bloomington and can help work it if you want. Used to live up that way, just down in Southern IL now.

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
I would enjoy a Gas & Oil show near where I live.

The date or timing of the show may be important or critical.

Would you time it with a car show???

Weather, something which cannot be controled, also would likely have an effect.

Good luck. I think it is great to promote the hobby.

I'm sure it is allot of work.

al

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Bloomington is close to me..I'd go.

Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
You guys in Illinois have me confused. Isn't Bloomington within 100 miles of Peotone which has a show twice a year that you would be competing with. By the way my folks were from Lewistown so I have a lot of cousins that I stay with In that area.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
It wouldn't be a competition just another show in the midwest....if the show was promoted right which we think we can do, I think there could be a solid turnout of just foot traffic for the vendors. We have what's called third Sunday market here that starts in May and goes till October, and they get a ton of foot traffic. I think vendors would do well, and I think the show would add a few new collectors to the mix. My dad and I are working on details right now, and will take Jim up on his offer that he was kindly enough to put on the table with the flyer. Details will be coming soon so keep and eye out.

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Hey guys wasn't trying to steal your post, just found a spot to vent I guess. Good luck on your new venture.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Petro Enthusiast
Online Content
Petro Enthusiast
My comment was because Peotone is exactly 1003 miles from my house and IG is 630 miles and it's the closest and I've been to Peotone about three times IG about four. I would want to go to the best one available if I'm going to bother relatives or stay in a motel. Mitch

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If you are starting a vendor list, put us on it. As everyone has said....... the date is the thing.
Also I think early admission is a mistake. It handicaps the people who have to drive a long distance.
If you live an hour away you get a much better shot, than the guy that lives three to four hours away.
Open at 7 or 7:30 and let er roll. Keep the guys in the hobby that don't have a bankroll.
JMO

Email :john@barnquiltshop.com

"The Fun Is In The Hunt"
Web site: www.barquiltshop.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
In the early years of Mass Gas we were in a fenced in area, NOBODY got in the gate till 7.am., they were all lined up scoping out their possible buys, at 7 it was like a herd of elephants and the buyers went table to table and made their purchase and moved on. It was the best set-up ever.
Plan the date carefully, It make a huge difference, not only with other Gas Bashes but other local car showsswap meets etc.

Early entry is not a good idea either, it keeps a lot of people away knowing it has all been looked over before the actual start, Good Luck.

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved