Next Thread
Print Thread
#21468 Thu May 05 2005 06:13 PM
R
Rudy Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Greetings to all!
I finally figured out my password. As you can see, I'm new.
I recently purchased a Martin and Schwartz Model 80 gas pump and making attempts to restore. Its dismantled. Are the flat head sheet metal screws that mount the outside
panels to the frame still available? How about the brass hinge pins? Other than the outside panels,top,base and frame,I have stripped primered and painted the rest. The door hinges and a few other trim pieces are pitted and I cleaned them up as well as can be expected. The exterior paint - I like the more unusual color combinations. Does anyone have pictures of their pumps that they can post? I went through all of the pictures in the other forums and
didn't see that many uncommon color schemes. Has anyone made up their own color(s) other than the traditional red (Texaco,Mobil) the Black(Poly Gas) Green (Dino). Don't get me wrong, I think they all look great! I will not be putting a globe on mine so the later option is more probable. I also want it to look nice but not perfect like many of your restorations appear. I have rusted areas that I can't fix and I'm a novist and do not have repair shop or a paint gun - only cans of spray paint. I was wondering if anyone has restored to "original looking" but not mint - if that make sense? Your expert opinions, comments,suggestions and or pictures would be most appreciated.
Thank you for your time.
Rudy

------------------

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#21469 Thu May 05 2005 07:30 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Rudy, welcome to the best site on the net!

Paint it what ever color you like. Remember automotive paint stores can mix auto paint and put it in a rattle can so you don't have to have a paint gun. Talk to guys that spray paint on the side and find a good store that is friendly and will to give you some pointers.

colors... find a theme you would like to do the pump in and then you can buy the signs and have the paint store match it and mix the paint for you. You would be surprised what it could look like.
Again welcome!

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
#21470 Thu May 05 2005 08:03 PM
Hi Rudy,
Glad you got the password thing worked out.

In actual use in the old days, most old gas pumps were re-painted with a brush or rattle can. There is nothing wrong with painting it with the method you have available. Being creative with the color choice is fine too. Purists will want you to be accurate with colors historically correct. But we always say, "It's your pump, do it the way you want." Have fun. You can always do it different later on, if you want.

Our Gas Pump Image Album is still in the early growing stages. There are some MS 80 pumps done in various color schemes in the album: http://gaspumps.info/gallery/search.php?searchstring=ms+80&search=Search

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
#21471 Thu May 05 2005 08:53 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Hey Rudy, welcome to the site. Relax, read, and enjoy.

Here's what you should do. (jmo) Click on our (your) bookstore link. Buy the "Guide to gas pump restoration" This book has a lot of information in it. In the back of the book, you will find color pictures of numerous paint schemes for various pumps. The descriptions also will include the appropriate (sp?) globe, if used, and decals, as well as what years that those markings were used. I like the Chevron red, white, and blue. Maybe you would like a pump done in Sunoco, or Sinclair, in the year that you were born.

Contact the good folks at Vics Place, and get a catalogue. there are also NUMEROUS other suppliers through the "links" page.

When you find the colors that you like, do it! A rattle can & dents are fine. Just like Oldgas said, brush or rattle can is ok. It depends on what look that you are after.

Have fun with it, and keep us posted.

#21472 Thu May 05 2005 09:52 PM
K
Koz Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
K
Hi Rudy.

My first pump was an 80 which I still have it in the living/grand room of our new home, although it has been sold to a friend in sparks Nevada. My restoration had the same flat head sheet metals screws question you have. I originally removed the rust then sprayed them to bring back the new look. Since then, I was able to find them in a Lowes store. They were an exact dead ringer.They should still have them, although their stock was there from the previous store name which slips my mind now. should you not be able to find them, I do have several here that I thought would be used on other pumps which of course was not true. By the way, my pump was restored as Mobil only because I could make out the original Mobil decal on one of the doors.

Have fun with your restoration.

Al Kozeliski

#21473 Fri May 06 2005 03:44 AM
D
D
Hi Rudy. If you want the rust repaired, get the metal to me and I will repair it for you. No charge. I will be at Michigan Gas. It's about a 2 hour drive for you. Let me know. ......Dan

#21474 Fri May 06 2005 04:23 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Rudy:

To answer your other question - No, the brass hinge pins are not reproduced (that I know of anyway). I used 16-penny (I think) nails and cut them to length. The only other thing you might need to do is to sand off the gripper-ridges on the shafts and round off the cut ends. Other than that, the nails will work fine.

All the other trim you may need is reproduced and not terribly expensive. Check out the various vendors listed on this site. Any one of them will be glad to help you out.

Later . . .

Jim

------------------
www.T-waysGraphics.com

#21475 Sun May 08 2005 06:33 PM
R
Rudy Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Thank you all for your responses.
Dan, I appreciate your offer too. When I get the chance to strip the old paint, I will have a much better idea of just how bad the metal really is. I was in Auto Zone last evening and came across cans of sandable primer that fills in pitted metal for about $4.50 a can. Thus far, what I've stripped are my hinges and side access door. They have the pitting. I will try the primer on them and see how it goes. If that works and my side panels and doors are pitted, I will try it on them.

Joe

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved