Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Does anybody feel that when you find an unretored pump and can determine what it was that it's kinda cool to take it back to that brand? I posted in Showcase forum my 36B station lighter that I am restoring back to original Mobil. I don't know but I think it's kinda the right thing to do sometimes. Maybe too philosophical for here but maybe that pump just wants to stay Mobil??? I'm in to restoring old cars and maybe it's the whole "gotta match the right color to the VIN or door tag specs" or just sentimentel.

Kris Strong
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Only original once. restored to original. Yes I'm there with you. Doubt it happens much as collectors are brand loyal.
Now my tok.39 red side panels with gulf doors with a yellow top with a truck transport sticker on it ?

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Well you may have a candidate for "do what you want". I think everybody usually does that but I still feel that going back to original is sometimes cool. I've had some Service Station clockfaces that were only made for Gulf and I always go back to Gulf but I think you pretty much need to with that specific of a pump.

Kris Strong
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree. I try and restore to original... Have a Tok 39 right now and I wanted to do it Fire Chief but it was a obvious Pure pump,so now its going to be a Pure Diesel.

Looking for Keystone,Pure,Sinclair,Texaco,Sterling and Gulf...Thanks, Brian
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I know it was pump-litically incorrect, but when I put the clamshell on top of this pump I had to do it.
Plus there were no pump police then.
back in the day...w/ original globe pump sold for $1400.00..late 80's.....ha

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Looks cool. Don't worry I wont report u.

Kris Strong
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I guess that my answer will be unpopular, but I only restore the pump to original when a client brings their pump to me and wants it that way. Otherwise, as a retailer, I restore pumps to whichever brand that sells best. OK....Send the pump cops!....coffee and doughnuts are standing by....LOL. Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Last edited by gasmansgp; Wed Jul 06 2011 05:01 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Got your #36-T computers yesterday
sent the ones for the 36-B's last night.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
I would keep it the original brand if you plan to restore it. I always feel this adds more "history" to the pump for some reason.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
I agree with all the comments so far - I think the story of the history is important, and that can get lost/re written if it's totally out of the realm of possibility, but then, if something is striking and visually important to you and makes you happy to have pink polka-dots on it, who's to say that's "wrong"?

I have two "rare" pumps that I'm going to take further back in "originality" that just to a period correct brand. Both have zero trace of having even the hint of a gas brand on them. My 1915 Wayne 276 is going back to it's factory red color, with a copy of the globe that Wayne shipped with the pump originally - I found a brochure from Jack Simm that listed what was included with the 276, and a wide body steal globe frame with panels that simple red "Filtered Gasoline" was actually sent out with each pump. My 1932 Penometer I'm still undecided if I'm going to touch it at all or not, or leave it as is.

~Aaron

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
AP,
Are you sure it came w/ a 15" Metal Body globe?
My 480 still had the original FILTERED GASOLINE 12" Metal body globe when I bought it 20+ yrs ago.

Sorry Dick, I mis spoke - I did not look back at the copy when I replied earlier, but just did and it specifies the globe and lettering, but nothing about the specific size. I was confused.

I dont suppose you would want to part with your original globe, eh? laugh You don't even have to respond to that, I'm just kidding.

~Aaron

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved