Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#261785 Wed Jul 06 2011 06:36 PM
R
OP Offline
R
I am an Architect in Rochester NY. I have a client who recently purchased an old Gulf Station. As part of his site plan approval he has to remove the old sign post on his property. Before this goes to the scrap yard I want to know if it has any value.

I have posted a screen shot of the sign and post from google maps. The actual gulf sign is gone but the post remains.

Is this worth saving? Is anyone interested in these things?

Please let me know what you think, Thanks

jay(at)pardiarchs(dot)com

Last edited by rayknobs; Wed Jul 06 2011 06:37 PM.
Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Don't scrap it!!!

Somebody here will be interested in it.

Randy grin

Last edited by Hy-Flash 72; Wed Jul 06 2011 07:20 PM.

Always looking for Hy-Flash Gas/Miller Oil, Hi-Speed Gas/ Hickok Oil and Paragon Refining items from Toledo,Ohio.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
There is definitely a value in it. Is it a large amount?--NO, but it has value as a part of the historical significance of the gas & oil industry. If these pieces of the puzzle are lost to posterity, how can we accurately depict what has gone by? It may seem insignificant, but all of these pieces are important. If there is no interest in a purchase, please consider donating it to an area historical society. PRESERVE THE PAST!

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133
R
OP Offline
R
You are preaching to the choir KW. If i only had room to store all the things that I have seen lost...

I doubt the local historic society would even take it. The owner certainly isn't interested in keeping it.

I did manage to get the original restroom sign off the building before it was thrown away.

The good news is that it's going to be a gas station again. We are repairing the canopy, painting the place white again, and keeping the curved glass intact. Taking it back to the original finish on the panels is not in the budget.

L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
Well said Kevin, if only I could spell half that. Sure they want it moved back off corner to approve site plan. Still they want let you reuse closer to building.
Throw it up for sell here,many oldgasers in your area. Someone will buy and take it down. If not here craigelist, someone will be proud to have this post.
If polesignkid was only closer.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
as to value, you'll be lucky to get $100. for it, and if it has to be taken down by the buyer you have to be worried about liability. It is definately not a rare piece. several people may want it but in the end I am betting it will end up being cut up and scrapped

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I would love to have it! $100.00 seems very low to me.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
If I was in the position to get a pole for a lighted sign (with the sign missing), I would scrap it. You will store the pole for a decade before you found someone willing to travel xxx amount of miles to buy it. I don't think the pole has enough demand to justify storing it for a potential buyer, that may never come. If the pole weighs a 1000 lbs.... It's worth $140 in scrap today

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
If someone has that sign and is looking for a pole, if so it probably has more value to it.

And Thermoman. You're getting $280 a ton for scrap!!!!! Dang. I just busted out a few old cast iron radiators and only got $125/ton. Wish I was closer...LOL!

Life is like a video game. The more you play, the better you get!!!
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I think its close to 300 here also

tyler #261863 Thu Jul 07 2011 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Diamond recycling Wilmington, de call them yourself. Last time I scrapped scructural steel I got 13.5 cents a pound

see me at Mason Dixon Gas, Spring Carlisle M114-115, and Hershey C4E-35.
G
G
That is a sin to even talk about scrapping a beauty like that!! Wheather it be for a plastic or not shame on yall !!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I disagree, Nearly EVERY street corner in every town has a pole still stsnding. Very few want one or can have one. to take it down, store it and wait for that 1 guy that really really wants it and offers you $100. for it. Not much different than pump "guts"

"Remember, history that is forgotten is doomed to repeat itself!"
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with the above statement...you are right on Rick.

Paddy
Wanted. Billups, Ride with Rose, Har-V, LORECO, STANOCOLA, Pan Am (early), Hurricane, Evangeline, Canal, Gulf Coast, oil companies.
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
I see every one has different views . I see lots of V shaped light poles ,no lights in TN. Dime a dozen, but sign post not so many. Kevins point is if we scrap because it brings more money,does that make it right. 20 YEARS from now when the next generation collecter is looking for one. We will tell him man we scraped them things, back in 2011. Know this is not forum for debate ,so I'll shut-up.
Hey if I was only closer.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Support the expenses of Oldgas.com. Thanks!

Copyright © 2024 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved