Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#21845 Sat Dec 13 2008 01:20 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I am thinking about switching everything over to the new style light bulbs including Gas Pumps and the Globes that I have. I am currently running 25w. clear bulbs in them and it does a good job just wondering if I go with the New Bulbs should I go up to the equivelent of a 40w. in the pumps and globes since I am pretty sure that they are not as bright as a Standard Bulb.

------------------
Jason @ Esse's Garage.

***Wanted*** Always looking for Oilzum, Kunz, and Husky Cans, Signs and Smalls.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#21846 Sat Dec 13 2008 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jason:

Your best bet would be to buy a few bulbs in a couple of different wattages and see what works for you.

The new flourscent bulbs are a bit more 'blue' than incandescent bulbs and will make most of your globes look better (IMO).

Good luck!

Later . . .

Jim

#21847 Sat Dec 13 2008 03:32 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Jason:

I have been using the new style flourescent(curly-que) bulbs in the pumps I have in my basement. I have been using the 60 watt size and like them a lot! They are much cooler in temperature compared to a incandescent bulb.

The 60 watt flourescent only pulls 14 watts, so there is a substantial energy savings also!!!

You could always try a few different wattages to see what fits your taste and the bulbs you don't care for use elsewhere in the house.

Kurt

#21848 Sat Dec 13 2008 03:56 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
If you are looking for bulbs here are a few ideas.
http://www.1000bulbs.com/

Jack Sim
Author, Gas Pump Identification book and Air Meter Identification book www.petrolianacollectibles.com

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#21849 Sat Dec 13 2008 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I use the new bulbs in all of my gas stuff that is inside. They look good lit up. I had put a couple in dad's outside pumps and they didn't last long at all. Think the cold weather wore them out pretty fast. There may be inside and outside versions?

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
#21850 Sat Dec 13 2008 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Well me and the Wife went to Menards, I seen they were running a Sale on the New Bulbs and $135 later we where putting them in the Pumps all the Fixtures in the Garage and in the whole house. I figured I would do them all at once to see if they really save the money that they Claim. I had 35 bulbs in the Garage, didn't realize there was that many. The Garage lights are all on from the Time I get up till I go to Bed on My Days off. So Changing them in the Garage alone will probably save me a Boatload of Loot!!LOL!!!! I used the 40 watt equivelent in the Pumps and man they look good. Thanks for all the Input Guys!!!!

------------------
Jason @ Esse's Garage.

#21851 Sat Dec 13 2008 10:32 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Geez Jason, 35 bulbs??? Should have used the incadescent...you could have turned the furnace off with the heat generated from that wattage!(LOL)

Glad your happy with your purchase...I think they work great for indoor display.

Kurt

#21852 Sat Dec 13 2008 11:59 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
How many Months do you estimate to recover your $135 ?

#21853 Sun Dec 14 2008 07:33 AM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Here is something else to consider...the heat generated by incandescant bulbs can, over time, break down certain materials. I have a Tok 871 clockface in my living room and it is time to replace the capco globe body, because it is crumbling to dust on the inside, near the bulb. I used incandescant bulbs to illuminate it for years, but have been using the flourescent bulbs for about 3 years now. This is no great deal, repro capco bodies are cheap, but I'd hate for an original to deteriorate like this. Just my 2 cents worth...

------------------
Robert Usrey

Robert Usrey
#21854 Sun Dec 14 2008 08:20 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've never seen an original capco break down because of an incandescent bulb. I've seen some that broke down from exposure to sunlight for many years.
What size bulb did you have in your globe? Chances are the wattage bulb you were using was way too high. Most of us over illuminate our globes (me included). A 15 watt incandescent bulb is what I was told were originally used to illuminate globes.

I have a cool white fluorescent in one metal bodied globe. It really makes the blue background look great. I first tried it in a glass bodied globe. The lenses looked great, but the glass body looked terrible.

I'm going to try a warm white fluorescent to see how it looks in a glass body. If I don't like that I'm going to stock up on incandescent bulbs.

Its been reported that changing all the bulbs in an average house to fluorescents could save $300 a year......but I also remember the report that a lady in California called the EPA when she broke a fluorescent bulb. The cost for the HAZMAT team to clean up the mercury from the broken bulb was over $7000.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#21855 Sun Dec 14 2008 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Dick, I didn't do any estimating to see how long it will take to recoop my investment. But I thought the only true way to see if these things are really as efficient as they claim is to replace every bulb at once then you should be able to see a difference in the Bill. With just me and the Wife our Electric usage is almost allways the same except for about 3 months during the summer when the AC is running.

------------------
Jason @ Esse's Garage.

#21856 Sun Dec 14 2008 01:19 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I have 15 pumps lit up in my garage and five more that need wireing work. I switched to the new bulbs so the circut would not get overloaded. Also I think they light up better. I have a 541 with one 60 watt equivilant and it lights the faces, ad glass and globe.

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
#21857 Sun Dec 14 2008 04:48 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I am currently almost finished with a S'west 612 display pump, and it uses six bulbs. (one for globe, two for veeder root faces, two for add glass and one for display cabinet) I think that the reduced aggravation factor of replacing burnt out incandescents is worth using the MUCH longer lasting flourescents.

------------------
Robert Usrey

Robert Usrey
#21858 Sun Dec 14 2008 07:44 PM
K
K
But you're all forgetting that these compact fluorescent lights, just like the straight tube fluorescent lights, emit a ton of ultraviolet light. That can fade colors and deteriorate plastics.

#21859 Mon Dec 15 2008 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Ken:

I have to disagree.

This is copied directly from the GE Lighting web site ( http://www.gelighting.com/na/business_lighting/faqs/health.htm#2 ).

The amount of UV produced by standard fluorescent lamps, such as those in your office, home, or school, is not hazardous and does not pose a major health concern. In fact, a paper by the National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) explores this subject in more detail. It cites a study in which it was determined that UV exposure from sitting indoors under fluorescent lights at typical office light levels for an eight hour workday is equivalent to just over a minute of exposure to the sun in Washington, D.C. on a clear day in July.

As you can see, flourescent bulbs will not fade your decals or deteriorate your Capcos like having them sitting outside.

Later . . .

Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved