Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
ebay: 300582000679

Seller claims it's been restored and is original. However no info where or who restored it because he bought it thsi way..

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think the flange on the original was white?

RANDY
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Yes it was white. Should have a Germany marking on it. Sign has been listed two times already. I would say this is the real deal(restored). Not a fan of restored signs- I would not buy.

Last edited by 57tbirdkid; Tue Aug 02 2011 06:42 PM.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Looking at it a little closer- most of the little tiny details are off a little. Letters should not be outlined in black.

E
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
E
Yea I was watching it for a while on ebay...in a way a restored sign is 1/2 a repop anyway. Although I couldnt find a repop in this size? I guess it is possible that thsi is original and the restorer didnt repaint it back 100% original??

Mainly focused on Oilzum, Jenney, Harris Oil items & original paint gas pumps.
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Yes That is what I believe Eric. Especially on a detailed sign like this one. These are great looking signs- but in this case I would rather have one with a few bullet holes then this one. Filler and paint do not mix well with a true porcelain sign. Makes em look "Too clean".

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
So what was the final thought on this sign, I have the identical sign,very heavy same size, when you talk about the letters being outlined in black it looks this sign has it, as well as mine, i assume you mean the firestone letters

B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Looks original but restored with clearcoat to me.

TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Do you have any marking on your flange-what is the size? I am referring to the black outline on the firestone letters that go left to right. I have seen what look to be real ones online that do have the black line- Maybe a different sign maker or change in production. There is a chance that black was around the firestone letter- just not as thick of a black line as the one we are talking about that was on ebay. I stated in a previous post that I have never seen ones with a black line around the letter, but after looking at a few pictures of these signs- some have the thin black border around the letter and the F and some do not.

Last edited by 57tbirdkid; Wed Aug 10 2011 08:05 AM.

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Hi, no markings on the sign, has black line around the word firestone and the F about 3/16 but it varies in width. the size is, 35 1/4 x 27 3/4, the one on e-bay also had these black lines. the weight is i'm guessing by memory is 8 to 10 pounds. i'll post picture later today. Andre

M
M
Originally Posted By: 57tbirdkid
Looking at it a little closer- most of the little tiny details are off a little. Letters should not be outlined in black.

The one I have in my collection has the very same black outline around the letters. Where did you come to think that the letters on this sign should not be outlined?

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
here are the pictures of sign

Last edited by mobil100; Wed Aug 10 2011 07:03 PM.
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Originally Posted By: Madison Oil
Originally Posted By: 57tbirdkid

The one I have in my collection has the very same black outline around the letters. Where did you come to think that the letters on this sign should not be outlined?

I wrote this in the post before yours:

"I stated in a previous post that I have never seen ones with a black line around the letter, but after looking at a few pictures of these signs- some have the thin black border around the letter and the F and some do not"

Mobil- Do you have pictures of the flange area?

The lighter blue seems to bring the black out much more then the darker blue flanges( Firestone used two shades of blue-a cobalt type and a navy. The lines on the restored one look way to thick.

Last edited by 57tbirdkid; Thu Aug 11 2011 06:07 PM.

W
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
W
Love the White Rose Dealer sign,,,, awesome,,

Wes.......
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...is it a black outline, or just what happens where the cobalt blue overlaps the orange?

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings *

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved