Oldgas.com Home  

Click here for Collectible Motor Oil Can auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
LC 336 #279765 Sun Oct 16 2011 09:04 AM
Very well said!!! There are alot of other things I think we could be complaining about in our lives! This is hobby we all enjoy or we wouldnt be here! I like this site just the way it is but it seems that alot of negativity keeps popping up and this can cause alot of people to move on.Everyone should help in any way they can to guide people in the right direction to help build this into a better stronger hobby.If every one gets there values from Pickers were all in trouble!

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I enjoy this forum. Even though it's mainly categories I don't collect, I like to know what things are fetching if I ever do run across them. In the rare case the question is about an item I know about, of course I'm going to try to help.
Other people help me learn in another hobby I'm just picking up. What goes around comes around.
That said, I'm glad it stands alone.

Alex #280523 Thu Oct 20 2011 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Alex
Originally Posted By: gulfiend!
...like I said, at least TRY to do some research first...if you can post a question and photo on Oldgas, you've proven yourself capable of looking on eBay...heck, the experts ask the people on Antiques Roadshow what they know about their items, including their value...

...I'm just trying to keep Oldgas from devolving into the Picker's One-Stop for Free Appraisals...whether or not an item is authentic, and it's history and context, is more important than 'how much kin I git fer it?'

How do you know people have not tried to do some research first. Also, ebay is not scientific. I have seen Firechief pump plates go from $80 to about $250. One went for $165 and it was in terrible condition. Ebay can be helpful, but it is not very scientific. Particularily if there are only a few of a similar item to look at. Especially for scarce/unique items. Also you say you are trying to keep Oldgas from becoming a "Picker's One-Stop for Free Apprasials." What gives you the right to make that call? One forum is set up to help with values, but since it doesn't fit "your criteria" it is bad. seems to me it is doing a good job. And if people want to come here to get an appraisal to see "how much I kin get fer it...." Tough. Some people are in it to make money. It is no crime. Don't like it, don't participate. Sorry to sound crabby...I am really not. I still think this is the best place to find out about the history of oil and gas items and to even find out what something is worth.

...where do I start?

Originally Posted By: KZ1000
GREED, There are many that are ONLY in it for the buck and don't give a care about the date/history/etc. of an item. It is only a business to them and the true collectors end up getting the shaft.

Originally Posted By: Tara Worsham
I've never liked it, either. I think it encourages people to just post on here right away instead of trying to do their own research first.

Originally Posted By: Mr.Wadhams
Value questions have always came up regularly. Value is the driving force in many who come to this site. I believe it is definitly better to have this in a seperate section... seperated from the general disscussion. Unfortunately seems to have encouraged more people to ask about items that they could very easily research on their own.

Originally Posted By: GILMORE
As for my opinion on this "Petroliana Value" forum, I see no problem with it. However, it should not be used by someone to ask all their Q's on all the items they are about to list on ebay. That just won't fly and ruins it for everyone else.

...it would appear that many Oldgas participants are weary of the incessant 'what's it worth' threads, about common stuff...you say eBay has values from $80-250 for a Fire-Chief sign, and a 'terrible' one went for $165?...that means the sign is worth between $80-250, see? Obviously you have some grasp of the values, or you wouldn't make a judgement call that the $165 sign wasn't worth $165...and you probably didn't have to post on Oldgas to figure any of that out...

...you say eBay isn't very scientific...you think Oldgas is scientific? how do you figure the value of an appraisal when there's a conflict of interest? someone who wants the piece might value it lower, so he can get it...then there's the guy who has the same sign and wants to see a high value in the marketplace for his piece, so his appraisal is inflated...or has an axe to grind with the guy asking for the appraisal...science? you mean math, and without the value for the variable of human nature and/or greed, your math falls apart...

...what gives me the right to make that call?...Oldgas is as much my 'neighborhood' as it is yours, pal...

...I've been messing with this stuff since people were giving it away for the asking...I never cared what it was worth, I just liked the graphics, and trying to figure out (without glossy price guides or the Internet) what sign/can was made before another, and how it all fit together...there was no checklist to go by...

...you like the history aspect of the hobby? great, that's awesome...welcome to the minority...I see FAR more posts about 'what is it worth' than 'what is the history'...

...as I see it, whoever's only in it for the money, can PAY for their appraisals...why should they get them for free?

Last edited by gulfiend!; Thu Oct 20 2011 09:53 AM.

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You sure know how to take things out of context....especially my comments. thanks for your opinion. Have a good day.

Alex
Looking for Texaco and Power Gasoline items
Alex #280567 Thu Oct 20 2011 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...context?...all of the source material is right here in this thread...your entire reply to my post precedes my reply...nothing taken out of context...

...I've re-read this thread, and can't find anyone complaining about people asking for information on rare/unique items...peace out...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Alex,
Opinions are just that, Opinions. Everyone has one, weather you agree or disagree, it's THEIR OPINION.

[ANYONE that says they agree 100% w/ their spouses opinions is lying or He/She is watching what is being typed]

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved