Next Thread
Print Thread
#24079 Thu Apr 20 2006 09:39 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
It saddens me that some might be acting out of a "fear of loss" motivation to try to tell others what the price of certain petro collectibles should be. (This is NOT a blanket statement about all who are active in this arena.) This, coupled with attempts to corner the market on certain items to protect their own investments is not at all appealing to me. Seems to me it could be tied to a "retentive" personality trait that may be highly active. In simple economic terms, unless an item is an absolute necessity, a higher price means fewer people will be interested in it. I am VERY glad that there are "individuals" who choose to buy/sell/trade items with others. What is written here, and about $1.50 can get you a cup of coffee in a lot of places. As my dear departed ex-Father in Law once said, "A deal is when two fools come together. One who makes an offer, and one who accepts it."

Dave Folck
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#24080 Thu Apr 20 2006 10:34 AM
W
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
W
Price is determined by a seller and a buyer. All I see here is one of the largest dealers in the country making an offering. When his offer was not well taken to he backed it up with his buy price. As a verry large dealer you are going to have to buy and sell a little higher to keep up that kind of inventory. I am sure that ron bettin is not trying to corner the market on white eagle if this is what you belive then he would be trying to corner all petro

#24081 Thu Apr 20 2006 10:53 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Ward--A dealer in such items is free to do what he wants. As potential buyers, we are free to choose to buy or not. It appears to me that in some cases I have seen, dealers ask more for items than individuals do which is not favorable to some of us in this arena. Paying a higher price for a class of items and owning more than one of those items for resale has the potential for cornering the market no matter how you slice it. Mrs. Folck didn't raise a dummy. Thanks for the post.

Dave Folck
#24082 Thu Apr 20 2006 11:25 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think "worth" is all relative. Ultimately An item is only "Worth" what someone will pay for said item. I see plenty of items I would love to have everyday but they arent worth it TO ME to pay the asking price..they might be "Worth" it for someone else though. I am getting a sign today around 5pm that I told the person what I thought a fair market value might be and what I could afford to pay. It meant alot to this person that it would be with my collection and not just bought and turned for profit. He accepted my offer because I assured him it wouldnt be "Turned" and I would enjoy it immensly for years to come. It was worth it to me to spend the money I could afford on this cool rare sign. I am sure it would be worth more to another with deep pockets but I will cherish the sign as the rest of my collection I have built within my means. The fun is the hunt, enjoying your collection, and the commrodery with fellow collectors. Its these things I love. I am quite sure if the only reason I was in this hobby for is to turn stuff for profit I wouldnt enjoy it as much.

This is only my opinion from a personal standpoint. As all of us are individuals the hobby will be made up of buyers, dealers, enthusiasts, Historians, mild hobbyists, pickers, and full blown gas geeks that cant get enough of this stuff from poor to wealthy. They all have there place in the hobby.

Just my take on it anyway

------------------
Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK and humble moderator

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#24083 Thu Apr 20 2006 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Finally now we know who got that washington Chief sign. How many tattoos is 12k Hubba? :-)

I agree, what is item is worth is relative to the person who is asking. Everday on ebay items are being bought and sold for fair market prices, some low some high but in general fair market value.I have watched a few white eagles not meet the reserve on ebay for less then what was being bid on your post. Where were the dealers then if it was such a good buy?

With that being said, you have the choice of which if any dealers to buy from. If there prices are to high then move on. There always will be another pump, sign or globe that will fit into your collection for a price you want to pay.

Scott Wright
#24084 Thu Apr 20 2006 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
LOL..yea right..I wish I got the Wa Chief sign...LOL 12k sure is alot of ink. I will post the sign I am getting in Buys of the week tomorrow (hopefully)

------------------
Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK and humble moderator

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#24085 Thu Apr 20 2006 01:50 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Powerlube & Hubba--thanks for your posts, guys. I couldn't agree more. Hubba--enjoy the hell out of your new sign, dude.

Dave Folck
#24086 Thu Apr 20 2006 08:48 PM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
Thanks Hubba for the reality check I share your joy and thoughts..........If this site had a mission statement your post should be part of it....."As all of us are individuals the hobby will be made up of buyers, dealers, enthusiasts, Historians, mild hobbyists, pickers, and full blown gas geeks that cant get enough of this stuff from poor to wealthy. They all have there place in the hobby."
Thanks Again Hubba
REX LIKES HUBBA

#24087 Fri Apr 21 2006 12:35 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Since we're quoting Hubba....
I like this one:
"I am quite sure if the only reason I was in this hobby for is to turn stuff for profit I wouldnt enjoy it as much."

Amen to that!!!!

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved