Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
a visible between the bay doors would look good..

RANDY
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
S
S
I agree with a visable between the doors or a Coke machine?

Looks great.....Sully

Online Cool
I love what you're planning. Nice looking building to start with, too. Can't wait to see the progress.

Do the price sign for sure, even if you fabricate it yourself. My 34.9 sign gets a lot of comments from non-collectors who are not happy about the current price of gas. LOL

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
& maybe a sinclair neon clock..

RANDY
F
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
F
Originally Posted By: norton16h
something on the roof would be nice...just my 2cents.

I agree......a Dino windvane on your cupola maybe?

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Looks like a good plan.

Here is a picture with one HC pump and one Ethyl pump...

This is an old station in Utah with HC and Power-X Pumps...

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: sellersrodshop
... here she is sunday kicking back, having a beer & watching the game...

Too funny! I played around a bit with the photo, hope you don't mind...

Sell me your Gilmore Oil Co. stuff...
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Based on what you said about 30s - 40s:

Can't determine what you are trying to depic where it says "oil" but they did not start making oil can racks until the mid 1950s. Your period of time would more likely include a oil bottle rack, and it would probably be on the island. Growing up in the 40s, and going with my father to get gas and oil, I don't ever remember him buying oil from a can, and he always put the cheapest oil they sold in our old 1938 Plymouth.

Almost every island had air and water of some sort. If you choose an ECO as suggested above, you should use a cast iron ECO, probably from the 33 Series ECOs. The meter that we all remember did not come out until 1947, and would be used more with short pumps. As for water, if you don't run a water line, at least have a radiator water bucket and unless you are trying to depic opening day of the station (with everything brand new) the bucket should be dirty and dented.

The Kerosene dispenser would not have been outside, it probably would have been on the back wall of the garage, next to three or four more dispensers that dispensed different grades of oil, no 10 W 30 in those days. Also, why Kersoene? By 1940 the sale of Kerosene was way down, most people had electric lights by then.

If you are going with Sinclair, the signs over the garage doors should also be Sinclair provided signs. If you go all the way back to 1930 the signs over the doors would most likely read "LUBRITORIUM," and " AUTO LAUNDRY." There is an old station still here in South St. Louis City, that still has those two signs out front (I posted a pic here on OG a year or two ago of the station but can't find it).

In 1930 you would also find an outside auto rack, called a "AUTO ELEVATOR."

The light you are describing (probably a Revere)was introduced around 1950.

One last thing, I don't remember not ever seeing a soda or tire sign on the front or side of a station picture. The tire signs were usually tall slim signs. A Coke box (that used ice) would fit the time also.

Be consistant with what you do, otherwise it will only be a collection.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Wed Dec 07 2011 03:03 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I wasn't around in the 30s and 40s, but have a few photos of vintage stations from that era. Often I see cans stacked in the general vicinity of the "man door". (Always wondered, who had to re-stack the cans each morning and each night or did crime not exist?) But, some of these early photos do show oil cans in racks. (Jack, maybe the station your Dad went to didn't want that added expense?) Also,some of these same photos show the bottle rack, that Jack is alluding to in his post.

Here is a photo of an abandoned Country Store/Sinclair station in the 40s;

Ebay # 200683826732 shows a 1930s station and one can see the stacked cans I commented about and also the Oil dispensers (I didn't notice a bottle rack, but someone else with sharper eyes just might)

Here is a photo I found that reads it is from the 1930s;

Lastly a 1938 HI-SPEED station in Marysville OH;

Not sure if this post helps you with ideas for your station?

I look forward to seeing what the final look of the station becomes.

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is a 30s station

I likeShell [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
You know first time I seen your shop,I thought it would be easy do to put front porch over people door over to edge of roll up,just have to figure how much fall we could put on it to make it look right on the front end. wouldn't cost much in material and we could do it in a day. If we could get same roof material from company that put up your building no one would ever know it was a after thought. Just something to think about.
O-jury is in here second pump sinclair pennant.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think the lay out is great. I do agree with Nicole some what.
Instead of leaving the old concrete as is, I would extend the new concrete on to the left 'East' side of the building.
That would allow you to drive up to the pumps like Nicole said.
Then you could elevate the island on the new slab.
That would be a cool station scene. Keep us posted with pictures.

Looking for anything JENNEY OIL OR GAS
V
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
V
Looks like a good plan. I agree that a dino cut-out on the weathervane would look cool. Also, consider putting a light in the cupola. You could remove the louvers in the front of it, and replace with Sinclair painted on the pexiglass.
Great project, enjoy it!
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
thanks so much for all the recommendations, pictures & info on helping me plan this out. lots of good ideas being tossed around & i'm sure i'll use some of them once i get the main pieces in place.

i think i'll do the other pump in the 'ethyl' like the first pic posted on this page. i like loyds's idea of the 'pennant' pump, but as far as i know, nobody repops that globe. if anyone knows otherwise, speak up smile my pumps arent a matched pair with one having ad glasses & the other plain, so am thinking if i paint them like the ones in the pic with all the doors being white, i can do a door swap & put the two ad glass doors on the front & the plain ones on the rear for now. if another pair of ad glass doors pop up later, i can swap out the plain ones on the rear.

jack, thanks for the timeline info on some of the items. i'll keep my eye out for those signs over the doors as i think i can squeeze those in above the light fixtures.

bob, love the pic of the "hi speed' station! why don't they build stuff like that now? did anyone notice the mural painted on the wall thats as big as the station??

gilmore, LOVE the doctored up pic of the pup! the mrs. even got a laugh out of that too.

Last edited by sellersrodshop; Fri Dec 09 2011 01:23 AM.
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
I spend as much time on this website as I do on Garage Journal. I get tons of ideas from both websites.

Here is a link to a garage someone built in a Texaco theme. It was inspired by an actual Mobil gas station. I believe this is the same idea as you have.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8044

Mike

Mike
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved