Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#302954 Mon Feb 06 2012 10:25 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gulf-Porcelain-H...e-/180813387704

...from '2curios'...the porcelain looks thick, lots of shelving...but the lettering below 'OIL' looks VERY suspect to me...and the white outer border is wider than on any Gulf flange sign in this style, that I've seen...I just don't think it's 'right'...

...top photo is the sign in question, from '2curios' auction - the other one from an old Proxibid listing (which is definitely an old one)...note the differences...what do y'all think?

2curios.jpg 2curiosnot.jpg
Last edited by gulfiend!; Mon Feb 06 2012 10:26 AM.

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Looks fake to me!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
no doubt about it..

RANDY
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don`t know enough about this sign in particular to make a definitive statement. I agree that it is questionable. I noted that the font or letting is different for "SUPREME" especially the "R" and "M".

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi Mark- I almost bid on that sign- but just didnt look right- was also a rather low price for orig that good-lease they could do is throw a couple rocks at it to give it a little age-- thanks don

[b] Wanted 5 quart cans -old speed equipment -1950-60s- Cad- Olds std shift parts - site at www.oilnspeed.com
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Ok, you guys have me concerned. I purchased a similar sign from this seller last month and although it looks good to my new collector eye I wanted to run it by the more experienced after the above sign was called into question. Let me know if anyone sees any red flags with this sign. Thanks.

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
LOOKS GOOD TO ME!. I have one myself and have always liked that sign.

C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
This last one looks good to me also !! I have one just like it i bought off old gas.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Badmotorfinger, your sign is an original...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
G
G
I also want to add that I have bought from this seller and have not had a problem, maybe he did not know what he has. Has anyone asked him? They move allot of signs and are always buying and selling from what I can tell and I agree that this sign looks different than what they usually do and if they are not original then I would bet he would want to know. I too almost bought that sign but for some reason I didn't. .

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
Gulfoilngas,
Just for the record 2Curious are two sisters that have an antique store. U keep referring to them as He.

G
G
I did not know they were sisters, but I do agree there are two lady's and I usually deal with Elizabeth (I think the other name is Jordan) and no matter what sign I am buying she goes by what her "boss" says, his name is George. She said he is the one that does the buying and puts the prices on the signs. That is the "he" I was referring to. I cannot personally verify though as I have never been there in person, that is just what she told me. Either way I guess the real issue is about the signs, I did not buy it but would be curious to hear from the person that did if they happen to see this forum.

Here is my question (or just thoughts) since I don't like getting ripped off any more than the next guy, sometimes there are differences in these old signs especially if the manufacturer changed, do we think that is a possibility? Along those lines has anyone ever seen a reproduction that looked like this before, if it were a repro wouldn't there be allot of these on the market? Someone would have went to an awful lot of work for not allot of money.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I also have done business in the past with 2curios and have been well satisfied. They do offer some high-end repros, but are careful to identify them. You will note that the posting for this particular Gulf Supreme sign stated NOT REPRODUCTION in all caps.

Here's what they had to say when I inquired:

<<George has returned and we looked over the "discussion board" link you sent us. The best that I can tell you, is that we bought the sign as old and original from a collector. We describe items as to the best of our knowledge, and we do also strive to keep our customers happy. We do not claim to be experts, we just like this stuff! There is no real way for us to know. I just don't know how one "verifies" the authenticity or non-authenticity of an item. I know that may not be much of an answer, but as with all dealers, just can't always know... to post this at the discussion boards.>>

I'd also have to agree with the posting that notes that different companies made variations on basic designs over a period of time. This is particularly maddening for the Ford collectors out there as FMC used the same designs over and over for many years, e.g., Genuine Ford parts ovals. I can think of 5 variations off hand and all are regularly traded and accepted as originals.

R
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
R
First sign pictured in this post is a fake repro. 2nd and 3rd signs are legit.

It does not matter what "George", the guy who sold it to him, the guy who made it, the guy who buys it, the next guy that gets burned , etc. says- nothing will change the fact that the first sign pictured in this post is a phony.

First sign pictured in this post is a fake repro.

It does not matter if someone sells original signs sometimes- the first sign pictured in this post is not original.

Repeat- First sign pictured in this post is a fake repro.

Looking for photos, etc from 60s era Shell-A-Rama gas station and Pal's Diner, Rt. 17 Mahwah, NJ
& US or state highway signs, shields, route markers
TBA Feature Host
TBA Feature Host
Stories and more stories the proof is in the pudding.....just like the 5th version of the ford sign from India!

Last edited by 57tbirdkid; Tue Feb 21 2012 03:32 PM.

The most valuable commodity I know of is information-Wall Street
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved