Next Thread
Print Thread
#311060 Sat Mar 10 2012 05:17 PM
F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Has anyone had any luck polishing out a scratch in the front of a lense. I have a very nice lense except for the scratch in the front of it. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Craig

Craig
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Flyingaman #311103 Sat Mar 10 2012 07:27 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
From what I've read and heard over the few years I've been in the hobby is that minimal scratches aren't really that detrimental to the value of a lens. They are somewhat to be expected from the years these items have been around that weren't meant to be collected.
If it's a super rare lens I would leave well enough alone as you start messing with glass and an "accident" could result. You might never know where a stress point might be and crack, it's done. I know I'm not answering your question but I would play on the safe side personally and leave it as is.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
DWSheffer #311128 Sat Mar 10 2012 08:22 PM
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
I've talk to a glass man and he said they can be taken out with a polisher made of cork. The problem is that the polisher can heat the glass and if it gets too hot it will break the lens. He wouldn't touch one of mine, so it still has the scratch. Richard

F
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
F
Thanks guys, My feeling was to leave alone, buy if someone came back and said it was easy, I was willing to give it a try. The lense in question is a 1500 dollar lense so as much as I would like to get rid of the scratches, I think I will leave them alone.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Craig

Craig
Flyingaman #311175 Sun Mar 11 2012 12:13 AM
H
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
H
Craig,

Just curious ...

From what distance, one would notice the scratches? Of course once it is lit up!

S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
If you take some light machine oil or WD 40 and lightly coat the insert it'll make most scratches look a lot better. Be careful though as the globe gets slippery...After time it'll come off but it does help. Scott

scottpcm #312207 Wed Mar 14 2012 06:05 PM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
Craig,
Scott is right but other than that dont worry about it too much. I found a pair of 15 inch Johnson Ethyl lenses a few years ago that had some bad scratches right on the very front of both of them. They were in the top of a barn in Marlboro, Ohio. There were mice and rats jumping out of the box when I tried to pick them up out of there. The scratches didnt affect the price of them whatsoever, they sold the next day. Good Luck! Goober

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved