Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
OP Offline
T
Wondering if anyone has done a color match study of currently available spray paint or model lacquer paint for various oil company logos? I also collect classic toy trains from the 40's and 50s (lionel, American Flyer, etc) and there are several off-the-shelf color match recommendations out there for just about everything in that world. In my case, I'm a big collector of 5 gallon oil cans and signs from the 40s and 50s that always need a few touchups here and there. I know there are great auto paint match color recipes for pump restorations and so on, but I'm talking about on a much smaller scale. For example, a good close Krylon spray color match for "That Good Gulf Blue", or "Union 76 Royal Triton Purple". Another great one would be "Texaco Red or Green". How about "Tydol Flying A Green". You get the idea... Anyone ever seen or thought about this area of help for small restoration projects?
Thanks!

Last edited by thatgoodgulfguy; Sat Mar 17 2012 01:17 PM.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
L
L
The biggest problem with a rattle can (other than the tendancy to run if you try to make it flow out) is that it's not catalyzed. It's therefor not as hard, imperious to solvents and not usually as shiny.

T
OP Offline
T
Good point about using rattle can paint. Actually, I was thinking a bit more quality stuff. I probably shouldn't have said "Krylon" although they have some good color matches and good quality paint for some of the sign restorations I've done. I should mention that I do use an air brush for most of my work, and do try to go quality rather than just a hack job with cheap paint. But again, what I'm really interested in is color match studies dealing with Oil Company logos. For example, here are several companies out there that put out some very high quality touch up paint in the automotive industry. For example, at the moment, Duplicolor brand (available at any auto parts store) puts out something like 150 different OEM exact-match colors available for current and late-model domestic and foreign cars, along with some great clear coat sprays, all in both 8oz spray and liquid bottle sizes for touch up brushing. That's more of what I'm suggesting. Thanks for reeling me in here.

Last edited by thatgoodgulfguy; Sat Mar 17 2012 01:37 PM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Technically Most cans are printed/lithographed w/ Ink.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
No offense. But ...

Last edited by Oldgas; Sat Mar 17 2012 05:12 PM. Reason: edited in response to a "Notify" complaint
Depending on what you are trying to accomplish, a touch-up match can be made pretty close by utilizing a skilled color adjustment person at a auto paint supplier or even a general paint retailer. You can look through automotive color chip books to get something close without tinting. Fleet color books can be especially helpful. Same way at a general paint retailer. Usually lots of chips to compare with your original. Some stores will even sell a small jar of the color to test to see if you like it for a low cost. That may be all you need for a model build or a touch-up.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks Jim. Great suggestions!

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved