Next Thread
Print Thread
#26377 Wed Oct 08 2008 02:54 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Serves me right, after bragging how great this thing is it decides to let me down. While it has pumped flawlessly for 2 weeks I went to fill the truck and only got a gallon of fuel before it stopped pumping. I then pulled the in-line suction filter and there is no suction going back to the pump. After turning off then turning on the pump it started pumping again, for about another gallon then stopped. I then opened the cover and took out the float and both the regulating and by-pass valves. Both have new homemade seals that are so good they hold suction. The intake screen was dirt-free. I am wondering what could be going wrong with this thing? The pump looks like a robust gear type pump and would not go bad that fast.

Antique? It's new to me.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#26378 Wed Oct 08 2008 04:57 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Turns out that the pvc slip fitting I used to join the pipe from the tank to the pump developed a crack and air was getting sucked in. I replaced it and the pump is working perfectly again.

Antique? It's new to me.
#26379 Wed Oct 08 2008 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good to hear you are back up and pumping.
Mike

#26380 Wed Oct 08 2008 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That explains the air noise....cavitation.
It causes the air eliminator to expell the air through the vent.
Any leak in the pipe before the pump will cause air to get into the system while pumping (vacuum), and will leak fluid when the pump is not running. (gravity pressure)
This is only for pumps.... not dispensers

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net
#26381 Wed Oct 08 2008 10:20 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Thanks for the advice, I am grateful that the old pump is such a simple and durable machine. I actually felt bad when it stopped working after putting so much time into restoring the pump and meter mechanism and getting it working. Every time I have to put fuel in I look forward to it as the sound of the pump and the dinging at every gallon is something I vaguely remember as a kid. As soon as I can get a decent video camera I intend to post online how it works. The nozzle is hidden in the front yard and the pump is in the backyard but I can still hear the dings. While there was concern how palm oil would affect the pump, so far it seems to run and pump very smoothly.

Antique? It's new to me.
#26382 Thu Oct 09 2008 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
As long as it is active, you should have little trouble. If it sets up a while with that stuff in it you may get some sludge.

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved