Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#314606 Sat Mar 24 2012 02:39 PM
T
OP Offline
T
I have a Really nice Mason Dixon Sign. Can sombody tell me how much they go for in almost mint shape? Cant find another one.

photo (81).JPG
Last edited by ThatDude; Sat Mar 24 2012 02:47 PM.
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
They have been around since the early 1930s. Try calling the company. I have done that before. Most older companies have a historian that can help you.

file0035.jpg
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks It came from the Trucking Home office in my home town. They are out of business, just trying to see if anyone knows the value. thanks

A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
I would say that its not rare. The pics I found had many trucks with that sign on it. The years of the trucks were from the 1970s and 80s and they all had that sign. I do not know a value for sure, but I bet its around 100 bucks.

T
OP Offline
T
Thanks just curious, I have seen pics of the sign on the trucks as well but never in somebody's actual collection. I do know that everyone in my area wants the sign but i don't want to give it away.

T
OP Offline
T
Anyone actually own one or seen one for sale please help!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I doubt that this sign went on a truck. Wouldnt the trucks signs just have been a decal or something? Whats it made of? I guess I could be wrong though -since I've never seen one and am talking out of my behind.

Last edited by JimT; Sun Mar 25 2012 09:54 AM.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: JimT
I doubt that this sign went on a truck. Wouldnt the trucks signs just have been a decal or something?

I'm thinking that Jim is right about the trucks having decals.

As for the value of your sign, you are standing in a strange place & time. There would undoubtably be people in town who would love to have it. The reality is though, its just a sign from a local trucking, that only recently closed down. Stay with me here, there is a Tiger sign from a Denver oil company, that was thought of in the same way.

I'd be suprised if somebody would give $100.00 for it today. Though maybe next year, a bunch of former employees might chip in, and pay $300.00 for it, just so they can give it to their dispatcher for his 70th birthday, Mr. Whatshisname. Myself, I'd like to have a sign from two of our local trucking companies who are no longer around, but I doubt that I would pay anything more that what I carry in my pocket. And thats not much.

If the money is a concern, and there really is nothing wrong with that, an auction is the only way that you'll get any real money for it. If its for sentimental reasons, then the price is something that you and your buyer are comfortable with. In my experience though, any time I sell something, I wish that it never left here. I miss my stuff when it goes away...

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
T
OP Offline
T
It is a metal sign. I have seen the decals before. Thanks for the help. I had the horizontal version last year and sold it at the Dixie gas show for $400 here in TN and it was about a 5 out of ten. This one was really nice but doesn't always mean its more valuable. I think to somebody here in the south it would be worth considerably more then $100. I liked it for the General soldiers that are on it. The historical significance behind what the company stood for meant allot. Thanks for all your help. Anyone else who owns one please jump in and comment. Thanks

A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
its on the side of the truck I listed earlier. LOOK UP ^^

file0035.jpg
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
Originally Posted By: always lookin
its on the side of the truck I listed earlier. LOOK UP ^^

Are you saying that they added a metal sign to the truck trailer? I'm sure they only did that back in the 50s and before. If you're saying they're not rare because you can just cut it out of a trailer, well I don't think you're saying that because that's just not reasonable. I think this is a scarce sign, but not many people would be willing to pay up unless for historical or sentimental reasons.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
According to the Company website, (http://www.madl.com/AboutUs.aspx) the Company has over 200 Agent Offices and over 800 owner/operator trucks....

So there are most likely hundreds of these signs around....

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/sh_masondixon.htm

This guys seems to be a historian guy for the trucks.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: ThatDude
Thanks just curious, I have seen pics of the sign on the trucks as well but never in somebody's actual collection. I do know that everyone in my area wants the sign but i don't want to give it away.

Am I missing something here? Didnt you say that you sold one like this?

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
T
OP Offline
T
If you read my post I said I had the Horizontal Version, this sign is a vertical sign. As far as being an "historian of trucks" No or obvioslly I wouldn't need help about a truck sign.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved