Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Fozzman Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello fellow gassers!

I have a really specific question for you all. I was sent a scan of a really nice brick 5-6 bay Lincoln Oil Refinery station in Vincennes, IN some time back. Being a native of that city I have been searching for info on this station. Even though my dad is old, he has swiss cheese memory! JK.

I did find an index of articles written by Norb Brown for the Vincennes Sun Commercial (local paper.) on August 24, 1929 he had an article titled "Oil company opening today, lincoln oil refining company now located at 6th and st. clair streets, filling station and bulk plant."

The paper only goes back to 2002 for their online archives so I cant find much out online. Since the picture was a scan from a book, I am not sure I can post it, so I wont at this time. You can correct me if I am wrong.

Does anyone know if there is an index of Linco service stations and/or their locations? I know they only had 17 stations at the time that Ohio Oil bought them, and the pictures shows both "Lincoln Oil Refinery" and a "linco" sidewalk sign, I would have to assume that it may have been one of those 17.

I can google map that location and see it today and in 2009, and dad said that there used to be an old Gulf station on one of those corners, but it was not the one I am looking at. That area also lines up great with railroad tracks (which could be said about any part of Vincennes anyway) so I would think that if they had a bulk plant and station, it would be very close to a rail spur.

Anyways, any help/pointers/info/pictures/"Well.. I remember's" would be appreciated.

Thanks

Brian

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Brian, if you have access to commercial phone directories from the Library, I usually use them . Here , where I'm at, ( Richmond Va. ) I can dwelve back into the early 1920's . These directories will have the owners name , home address , and sometimes if they were White or Colored even . Ed Shaver

see ya on the road folks !
S
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
S
try the local historical society. they should have a digital online catalog of photos.

here ya go - http://images.indianahistory.org/cdm4/re...OOT=all&t=a

Last edited by Serialist; Tue Apr 24 2012 11:13 PM.
Fozzman Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks guys for the pointers, I really appreciate it!

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Unless there are rules to posting a scan on Oldgas, I believe you can post the picture since you are not publishing it. But, you can always cite where it came from to give credit to the publisher.

Fozzman Offline OP
OP Offline
OK, lets see if this upload works. This picture was from "Fill'er Up" from 1979 and the picture is from 1931 according to the author.

scan0003 (2).jpg
1931 Vincennes, Indiana Linco Station

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Now that is a station.... LOL (sure it doesn't double as the "State House", also......

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
Fozzman Offline OP
OP Offline
Well, you know, Vincennes claim to fame is "First City of Indiana" smile So it could be. I just thought it weird that if that was truly in that town, that type of building would not have been demolished "in the name of progess." It seems to nice to have torn down.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Think about all the Carnegie libraries that have been demolished. I'm amused that this gas station looked a lot like one!

T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
I could live in that gas station.....

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved