Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#343221 Sat Jul 21 2012 10:48 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Great sign with couple rust holes on the back side and surface rust up front. Wind mill rotates! Great big sign from the 40s- early 50s! Missing side metal. Main body height is 63'' over all height is 79'' width 4', thickness 21''. The last photo is what it could look like! $2,000.00 obo

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Remember this is best offer, the worst I can say is No! Or maybe trade for a couple old unrestored gas pumps!

O
O
I'm surprised there's no takers. When I was doing research for my neon barber poles I was told that the barber poles and Van de Kamps windmill sign were desirable to neon collectors as they were the only production signs that had revolving neon. I'm sure there were others, but I can't remember any so possibly true

Before you go too low, I would try and shop around the neon community. Ya never know, a couple of hours of work there might pay off.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: open wheel
I'm surprised there's no takers. When I was doing research for my neon barber poles I was told that the barber poles and Van de Kamps windmill sign were desirable to neon collectors as they were the only production signs that had revolving neon. I'm sure there were others, but I can't remember any so possibly true

Before you go too low, I would try and shop around the neon community. Ya never know, a couple of hours of work there might pay off.

...if it were porcelain (like the one in the last photo), it would undoubtedly create more buzz...basically the sign for sale would have to be entirely repainted - and the 'arms' on the windmill appear to be galvanized...paint doesn't adhere very permanently to galvanized steel...it would probably be better to leave the metal as is, replace the neon, and repair the works...and enjoy the signs of age...

Last edited by gulfiend!; Sun Jul 29 2012 03:49 PM.

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Yea, I'm surprised that it hasn't been sold yet as well,but I'm not going to go to low on price, cool piece of history and I have never seen anything like! Hope some one gets it, and bring it back to it's glory days! Ive never shipped anything so I don't now what in tells? Thanks guys for your comments!
Matt

M
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
http://www.ebay.com/itm/160852784102?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
I have one in working condition on my website. www.gasstuff.com

Please visit my website Gasstuff.com
O
O
I stand corrected. The one on ebay is pretty nice and no takers after a being listed more than once.

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
There is a market for everything and a buyer some where,like in the last post, I know how low I will go and if I dont get it, then I will restore it in the future! Shipping is what is killing the deals! Also I wonder why it was not porcelain? Was it in the store?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: Tokheim36a
Also I wonder why it was not porcelain? Was it in the store?

...not to belabor the obvious - but if it was in the store, it wouldn't have suffered the damage evidenced in your photos...

...no, they either made your sign before they went to porcelain, or after they determined porcelain was too expensive - or they used painted signs if they couldn't get their order filled with porcelain signs...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...
T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Good to know! The (damage) rust is because the guy before me had it stored outside. Thanks for the info Gulfiend!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
...it's also because the sign was originally displayed outside...typed in 'Van De Kamps Bakery' in a Google image search...took all of two minutes to find this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tspauld/3117301142/

Last edited by gulfiend!; Wed Aug 01 2012 01:23 PM.

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
Any taker's at 1500.00

T
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
T
OR BEST OFFER

M
Mac Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
Originally Posted By: Gas stuff.com
I have one in working condition on my website. www.gasstuff.com

Nice website! Cool stuff! I did want to let you know you have "information" spelled incorrectly on your site in several places as "Informatation".

Mac

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved