Typically, the use of photos for advertising purposes involve a contract that covers (limits) the scope of how the photos may be used, the period (or length) of time they may be used for, a provision for renewal of the photo use, AND, of course, a fee for the use of the photo(s).

I hope 60wayne keeps this in mind. If someone wants to use his photos for a commercial purpose, they automatically have value. Of course, this is contingent on 60wayne actually being the owner of the photos being discussed. The advertising world has many stories about photographers and photographic models seeing their work used for a period of years and in all sorts of advertising venues, when they were given an impression that the use would be short-term, and simply in a product brochure (for example).

I pass these thoughts along, not as some kind of social do-gooder or "capitalism is bad" kind of person, but rather as a guy who spent most of his working life in the advertising profession. Of course, it's possible that Steve from NH signs was planning to have his client pay for the use of the photos mentioned. I simply wanted to share some of my thoughts, based on personal experience. John

Last edited by Jolly-John; Wed Dec 28 2022 11:54 AM.