Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#349650 Sun Aug 19 2012 07:19 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Being pretty new to this hobby, need help on Erie 77 pump I found. Are these a common pump to find? The one I have my eye on is an older restoration, old paint, repop globe. But it does have the 3 spear trim pieces on the bottom. They are asking $1200.

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
dooger54 #349809 Mon Aug 20 2012 01:07 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
btt

dooger54 #349847 Mon Aug 20 2012 04:15 PM
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
This Erie is a common model. Although nice when restored correctly, they are a bit difficult to do. The big doors fight a guy as does the lock system. I've restored at least eight of these and they do not sell any faster than a Tokheim 39 or a M&S 80? The asking price seems high? Without pictures, I'd personally pass. It might be in the ballpark of $600.00? That's if it has everything and is totally complete? Good luck, Paul www.severngaspumps.com

gasmansgp #349863 Mon Aug 20 2012 05:03 PM
P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
I agree with Paul's take.

Thanks, Phil
gasmansgp #349892 Mon Aug 20 2012 07:42 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
I will pass on this then. Got a PM from another member with the same response, probably worth no more than $600. For a new collector it's so hard to know value as there are so many pumps! I have Jack Sims gas pump book, but that doesn't help much with current values or how desirable they are. I'm only collecting for my personal collection and have no plans to collect items that I don't want to keep for myself.

Thanks!

dooger54 #349924 Tue Aug 21 2012 04:44 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Originally Posted By: dooger54
For a new collector it's so hard to know value as there are so many pumps! I have Jack Sims gas pump book, but that doesn't help much with current values or how desirable they are. I'm only collecting for my personal collection and have no plans to collect items that I don't want to keep for myself.

Thanks!

...I disagree...the prices/collecting trends haven't changed so much that you can't use Jack's guides...it's not like a given pump listed in his book for $1000 is now worth $300...and if you find a clockface for $500, do you really need to check a price guide to see what it lists for, if you plan to keep it?...the pumps that were desirable when the books came out, are still desirable now...

...people are always complaining about the economy, and how this stuff isn't worth what it used to be...some people complain about how expensive this stuff is getting...one thing's for sure: ain't no one giving it away...

...as a new collector, don't get too caught up in what 'the going rate' is...if you pay $500 for a $400 pump, it's not the end of the world...prices vary that much, just because of geography...use Jack's book...study it...go to gas shows, and see what all the good pumps pre-sold for grin

...you don't have to know what every particular model is selling for this moment, just get a feel for the styles/values...try to figure out WHY this pump is more desirable than another pump...if you're serious about this stuff, you'll do fine...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...

Moderated by  Oldgas 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Petro Porcelain Sign auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved