Next Thread
Print Thread
#358718 Wed Sep 26 2012 10:33 AM
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
I have bought several 2 gallons over the last several months. I of course do my best to get quality with good/interesting graphics. My question is in regards to the tops which are often rusted. Some quite bad. Should this be cleaned or left alone? If yes, would someone please post before/after pics and outline products used?
We're only talking $20-$80 bucks or so per can, so resale value change isn't to big a concern. I have a couple that I think may be more rare so those I would not touch. But for the average Sunoco/Texaco/Mobil can does it really hurt the value all that much?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by SC62; Wed Sep 26 2012 10:35 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I neutralize the rust on my cans by using wet alum foil. I wash off the can to remove surface debris and then rub the rust with alum foil that is kept wet.... Unless one is well versed in the procedure, I suggest they DO NOT try using alum foil on graphic areas...

Here is a before photo of a Veedol 5 gal can:

And the after photo, using a mild dishwashing detergent like Dawn and/or Ivory Snow and the wet alum foil:

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
S
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
S
Wow!! Never heard of that! I have an old beat to hell sunoco can that I was planning to use as a Ginney Pig. I'll give this a try. Out of curiousity if nothing else.

Is the foil balled up when doing this or are you rubbing with it flat?

Thanks!!!

BTW, that is a very cool can!!

Last edited by SC62; Wed Sep 26 2012 11:32 AM.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Both....

I go to the Dollar Store and buy a couple rolls of cheap alum foil.... No need to use the more expensive "Reynolds Wrap"... LOL

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
That is fantastic. You guys are flippin geniouses. I never heard of the foil thing but I can't wait to try it

L
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
L
I've also used Noxon and Naval Jelly for similar items with good results using microfiber towels. Mainly to neutralize and clean. So far it hasn't effected painted surfaces. Always try it in a inconspicuous area first to be sure and go slowly and easily. Meguiar's Cleaner Wax is another product that works good for me. Hope this helps. Regards.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Bob,

That can looks fantastic! Do you mind me asking how long it took you to work your magic?

Scot

Looking for nearly anything related to Signal Oil

Go Farther!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Less than an hour...

The alum foil neutralizes the rust immediately... I work on a small section, take a wet rag to it and watch the rust run right off...

As I said I continuously keep the alum foil wet...

Here is the same can approx 18 months later. I did nothing to it, but clean it with the alum foil... My garage is uninsulated and unheated.... Living in the PNW approx 80 miles from the Pacific and approx a 1/4 mile from the Columbia River... I think my region of the Country is considered "damp" a good portion of the year.... But I think the alum foil has kept the rust away, quite well....

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved