Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
J
Looks like I may be able to close on a sale on a piece of land I own. My collection has well outgrew my space and I want to purchase a location (man cave) for the collection and to have people hang out. For 30 years (since I used to sneak in one) I have always been fascinated with the missle bases located around Milwaukee.
There is 2 that I have had my eye on and I snuck into one today, a older couple owns the land and if my deal goes down I want to try to purchase this area from them. The battery is currently filled with about 4 feet of water but I would like to restore the place and truly have a man cave filled with pumps- Not being any type of contractor maybe I am full of ***** and this would cost millions, but it is just concrete and is like a huge underground parking garage- Am I nuts to try to pull this off?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

jeffaubs@aol.com
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
There are a bunch of old Atlas missile bases around here and they are mostly owned by farmers and used for storage.
Peter Davenport the Director of the National UFO Reporting Center owns one of them.
If you watch the video you can see some pictures of his.
It would definitely be hard to top (man cave wise) if you were able to buy it.

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/dailyweekly/2011/02/peter_davenport_ufo_center_aud.php

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
There are several Nike sites in the county where I live. The police use one as a training facility. A recent article, in the newspaper, reported that the units were seeping groundwater extensively. Several bids were recieved to repair and the local government decided the costs exceeded the value. Also,with the mold issues in many areas, the health of officers would be in question. They are razing the units and building above ground. You might reconsider unless you are in a position to do the work yourself.....or have unlimited funds? Paul www.severngaspumps.com

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jeff I like those sites also but I wouldn't want my or your collection underground where it has a good chance of flooding.Being in my type of work I've seen plenty of that.Unless you spent tons of money sealing the concrete and putting a roof over the structure and back up sump pumps,that I've seen fail I would pass.You would also have to put heating and ventalation to keep the moisture in check.Don't get me wrong it's a killer idea and would be cool.I say put the missles back in it and stock it full of guns and ammo:)Did you sell the docs place??

S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
No offence, but "you're nuts & it's a bad idea!" For the same reasons that Petrolic has listed. Yes, buy the property & use the cave for something else. Build your museum on top of it. My 2 cents worth!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I've been inside the one @ Fort Tilden in Queens County, NY. It's like a huge manmade batcave LOL! looking just like the pictures you posted! Fort Tilden is now a State Park.

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
You are nuts and this is a bad idea.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Especially if it has asbestos anyplace inside. shocked

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
OK,YOU ARE NUTS,AND THIS IS A BAD IDEA.YOU ASKED FOR IT.NO DIS RESPECT OF COURSE.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Tireflator Air Meter auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved